Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 236b white smoke

minki · 2019-02-27 08:09

hi. I'm new here. I have 2005 236b (hen01440) 1 year ago, the machine blew white smoke, so I changed fuel filter. it worked great. but today it happend again. so I chainged the fuel filter, but it still happend. so I empty the fuel tank(unplug the cork under the bottom), but it still happend what should I do?? and anybody can send me the repair manual? I dont know how to buy the manual from CAT web site. (I live in Korea)

Replies18
  1. #1thepumpguysc2019-02-27 08:18

    Does the engine have a miss or a skip?? Sounds like u blew a tip on the injector or an injector is stuck?? {bad fuel} With the ENGINE RUNNING & SMOKING, loosen the line AT THE INJECTOR 1 at a time & watch the smoke..IF it doesn't make any difference, tighten the line & move on to the next one & do the same thing, until u find one that makes a difference.. & THAT ONE will be the problem cylinder.. Good luck & report back..

  2. #2minki2019-02-27 09:22

    thanks I want to check fuel line first. how can I check the lines??

  3. #3minki2019-02-28 04:11

    thepumpguysc. thanks. I did what you said. but there was no differency. finally I found it I actually cleaned the air filters up very first moment. but the problem happened again. today I removed all the air filters, then the problem cleared. so I re-cleaned the filters and assembled it. There were two filters. I want to buy new one. but I dont know which one do I have to order. please let me know the s/n. (CAT0236B HEN01440)

  4. #4thepumpguysc2019-02-28 09:27

    That's my fault.. I take for granted my knowledge.. I assume EVERBODY takes the air cleaner OUT of the system BEFORE they start diagnosing a problem.. You'll KNOW BETTER next time..?? & DONT be "that guy" CHANGE ALL OF THEM at the same time.!!!

  5. #5Nige2019-02-28 10:16

    The Cat Part Numbers are 110-6326 for the outer element and 110-6331 for the inner element.

  6. #6minki2019-03-01 10:07

    thank you

  7. #7Nige2019-03-01 10:50

    Even if the inner element appears to be in good condition I would still suggest that you replace it.

  8. #8kshansen2019-03-01 19:13

    Especially if like you say you "cleaned" then once before and problem went away. I think the best way to clean those filters is to wash them out good with hot soapy water and then run over them with the skid steer and toss in the dumpster! In all seriousness I know some do wash or clean filters but I never liked that idea. Depending on the conditions you are working in, and only you know what they are, you should be able to use the inner filters for two or three changes of the outer filters. Does this machine have an air restriction gauge on the air filter housing or intake pipe? If not It might be an idea to see if one can be installed to help keep an eye on how fast the filters are plugging up.

  9. #9minki2019-03-03 06:19

    thanks

  10. #10minki2019-03-03 06:24

    that's good idea installing the gauge. I will think.. thanks

  11. #11kshansen2019-03-03 09:22

    Actually according to the operator manual that machine should have one built in to it, assuming it is hooked up and working! Item #2 is the switch that should turn it on, highlighted in cat yellow! PDF below shows where the light in cab that would come on when filter is restricted.

  12. #12minki2019-03-04 09:10

    omg.. I didnt know that.. I need to check my one has the indicator or not. how can I download the operater manual??

  13. #13kshansen2019-03-04 10:19

    Have you looked close at the machine, maybe back of the seat all Cat equipment I have been around in the last few decades came from factory with the operators manuals attached to them, most in bag on back of seat. That was one of the good things about the place I worked for over 40 years, every machine had to have a copy of the operator manual in it at all times. That was one of the check points on the pre-op work sheet!

  14. #14kshansen2019-03-04 10:48

    Not sure if they are available for download in Korea but try this: Try going to this site: https://catpublications.com . Click on "Continue as Guest" Then in the search box near the top enter: hen1-6749 Might come up with several different languages just find one that works for you and see if you can download it from there. Not sure why but sometimes you have to try searching in more than one way like model number or serial number or even the publication number and it can show up somewhat unrelated results. Just read the descriptions to be sure you are getting what you really want!

  15. #15Nige2019-03-04 11:23

    Ken, if you get into SIS and look for the operator manual Publication reference SEBUxxxx or whatever. Then search for the actual publication number on The Cat Publications web site. It normally takes you straight to it, or if it finds more than one publication the one you want is generally the first one on the list. I’m only working from a phone at the moment so it’s not so easy for me.

  16. #16kshansen2019-03-04 12:36

    Nige, I did stumble on to that one after I sent the message above. On a slightly different subject I'm thinking very seriously about talking to my ex-boss about letting me have the old service magazines I had at work. As I recall they go back to the 1970's and stop around 2003. As I don't think the company has any equipment, at least main line, that old anymore I'll use that as my argument. Plus the fact it will free up about six feet of shelf space in shop office!

  17. #17Nige2019-03-04 13:04

    I assume that your wife knows about your plan, or that you have a suitable location reserved in your man cave......

  18. #18kshansen2019-03-04 13:36

    Might wait a couple days, think she is going to visit a friend who moved a short time back and still has some unpacking to do. Then once they are on the shelves down stairs I can say "What new books?, you never noticed them there before?"