Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 236B2 alternator alternatives?

JoeUser · 2020-12-18 13:58

I recently bought a very clean 2008 236B2 (open ROPS), and am considering installing A/C for the summer heat (which is brutal here in Texas). The cost for retrofitting an OEM is astronomical, to say the least, and a ton of work on top of that. So, I've installed an aftermarket enclosure kit (thin Lexan side windows, super-thick front door) and initially planned to go with an aftermarket rooftop electrical unit (12V self-contained, similar to an RV unit). That is, until I discovered that their current draw at 12V is between 55A in one option, and in another case (Red Dot unit) 100A! My OEM 90A alternator is just too weak to even think about this avenue, obviously. So, was wondering if there are any alternative high-output alternators that I could use? Has anyone else taken the rooftop A/C route, that could share their experiences? Or, opinions pro and con? Many thanks!

Replies10
  1. #1lantraxco2020-12-18 17:49

    Hydraulic?

  2. #2JoeUser2020-12-21 07:45

    The OEM compressor is hydraulically-driven, yes. Thus the high cost of the hydraulic motor, mounts, compressor, hoses, condensor, etc.. So, I'm exploring electrical units for a rooftop configuration.

  3. #3Delmer2020-12-21 09:35

    search "redneck auto AC" and you'll get lots of ideas. I'd seriously consider an inverter with a cheap window AC, but you're still looking at a bigger alternator, and there's probably no room to do that. How about a little yanmar reefer unit off a box truck?

  4. #4JoeUser2020-12-21 11:01

    There is a slightly higher amperage alternator offered for the C3.4, same housing as the 90A one I currently have installed. It's 110A, so I could get a cushion of 20A to handle a little more draw. That might make a difference (certainly wouldn't hurt). It just adds another $225 to the overall cost of a rooftop unit like the Red Dot. I've got doubts about a small window type unit, and running an invertor. For one, I doubt the window unit would withstand mobility vibration over time. And two, it wouldn't be possible to mount one on either side of a ROPS (boom arms would interfere). Rear mount is a no-go as well, couldn't raise the radiator hatch. So, rooftop is the only external option. I will do some research on the Yanmar reefer unit, thanks. Might be worth checking out (provided it doesn't require a separate compressor).

  5. #5Mobiltech2020-12-21 13:37

    I have seen guys add aftermarket compressor on a belt drive off the front pulley. Then you could get away with a roof top condenser fan with far less draw.

  6. #6JoeUser2020-12-21 17:07

    I'll have to look into that, then. I've seen aftermarket kits, but they're mainly geared towards automobiles (that have suitable space for condensor and fan, accumulator, and such). I reckon I'd have to do some retrofitting, but it's definitely worth looking into, thanks. Any recommendations on particular kits, or know of whether those you mention used a certain kit? I definitely like the thought of having the compressor, but was leaning toward the all-in-one option of the electric rooftop unit. But, I'm still exploring options. Thanks for the suggestion.

  7. #7Mobiltech2020-12-22 08:06

    Red dot makes a unit that has everything except the compressor in a roof top unit. You just need to fabricate compressor mount and add lines.

  8. #8JoeUser2020-12-22 09:46

    I checked their site earlier, browsing just their 12V electrical rooftop units. I'll revisit the site and check out their offerings for the separate compressor option, thanks!

  9. #9Mobiltech2020-12-22 11:22

    Here’s one https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Red-Dot-AC-...316925?hash=item3fda1daa7d:g:UlsAAOSw3WxZu~o- rooftop mounted AC unit 12 vdc 25.7 amps @ 13.6 VDC 21300 btu cool 299 cfm R-134A re-circulation air only light weight 40 lbs separate compressor required

  10. #10JoeUser2020-12-22 13:33

    Thanks! That one is a little cheaper than the one I found earlier, and it also contains some hoses and such, too. Here's the one I found earlier: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Dot-R-...ooftop-Air-Conditioning-Unit-NEW/133426760789 Well, it's beginning to look like I won't be shopping for those 12V electric all-in-one rooftop units after all, and having to upgrade the alternator. I reckon I've got a new springtime project coming up