I can't find anything in my area that's a TO4 oil. Can I use AW32? https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...d-10w-5-gallon/74309/4601121?q=Iso+32&pos=144
Could you explain what is the reason behind wanting a TO-4 oil for the hydraulic system..?
Everything I've found says to use a 10w TO4. Do I not need to use it? The only thing I can find in a 10 weight is the aw32 at OReilly.
Well this is what I'm seeing on SIS for oils and it does seem that TO-4 is one option, even if it is the last option! Also I note that the minimum zinc level of 0.09percent(900ppm) would be an important thing to confirm for any of the oils.
What I was trying to the bottom of was why the OP thought that TO-4 was his only option. We use SAE10W TO-4 in our hydraulic systems but that’s by choice because we have other systems that require TO-4 and it saves us stocking two oils of the same viscosity. It also saves us from a dumb service guy putting straight hydraulic oil in a system that does actually require TO-4. Ksh’s comment regarding zinc content is extremely important. If the spec sheet does not mention that, walk away. Better still, run. EDIT: That O'Reilly link you posted won't let me in so I have no idea what oil it actually is. I would recommend that he should get a manual. $50 to download from Cat. Serial Number prefix is A9H I assume.?
Go to https://catpublications.com/ and search for SEBU8495. That is the one you want. You should see the illustration below. FYI. A9H1-Up means machines with S/N A9H00001-Up, so it is good for your machine.
Might also want to look real close in the machine, like the back of the operators seat! Not sure about Cat skid Steers but most of the Cat equipment we had at the quarry came with those manuals in them, actually was company policy the last several years that every machine be equipped with on in the cab. And I recall someone with a Case Skid Steer on this forum was asking about information and when he looked sure enough the op/service manual was in the box attached to the ROPS!
I've got that manual already. I'm just wanting to verify if I can use the O'Reilly AW32 hydraulic oil without any problems. It'll save me a 3 hour round trip to the closest cat dealer. It's a 10w anti wear hydraulic oil.
Without getting into their web site (which I can't do - it says "access denied" - I wonder what they're hiding.?) and seeing the spec sheet I'm sorry it's impossible to answer your question. I'm not a fan of parts house oils, but that doesn't mean to say you have to buy Cat-branded oil. Does no-one supply one of the major oil company brands (Texaco, Phillips, Mobil,, Shell, etc) close by you..?
I've not been able to find any with the TO4 spec or any other 10w hydraulic oil besides this one. I can order it online I suppose. Do you happen to have a link you could send me to the hydraulic oil you use in your skid steer?
Just found a spec sheet and aw32 is zinc free. I'll move on to another oil but I need to know a reasonable oil to use. Thanks for all the help so far.
I find no spec sheet on that O’reilly oil. From the images of the can and the online description I see nothing about what tests it has passed or specs it meets. Doesn’t even mention passing a general ASTM test. Unless you can verify that it meets the minimum specs Cat wants, I wouldn’t use it. Might be just fine but who knows with no specs? Some bloody expensive parts are relying on that oil. Also, avoid oil that says “also recommended for”. That translates to, “we never really tested it to the specs but think it should work pretty good”
Completely agree. Couldn’t have put it better myself. If I get some time I’ll see what I can dig up regarding branded oils that meet the requirements. All the major oil companies are sure to have one.
Here are some options for branded oil from major oil companies. I will include TO-4 oils as well as it seems product availability is a problem in your neck of the woods. As explained before, you can use a TO-4 oil although it is not a requirement. Hydraulic oil with zinc-based anti-wear package Conoco/Phillips T5X Offroad Mobile Hydraulic Fluid Mobil Nuto H 10W Shell Tellus S2 VX 10W Texaco/Chevron Ursa 10W Hydraulic Oil If you are looking at an oil from a supplier not mentioned, as CT Farmer said above check what specifications it meets. You may find many different ones on the spec sheet but Dennison and Eaton/Vickers are two of the common ones that will appear on any good oil. See below. TO-4 specification oil Conoco Powerdrive 10 Mobiltrans HD10W Shell Spirax S4 CX 10W Texaco/Chevron Ursa TorqForce 10W
Thank you for the help. I'll call all the parts stores in my area and see if any of those are available. Again thank you for the help, I really do appreciate it.
If they offer you any other alternatives thatn what is listed above then the first thing you should do is ask them to supply a spec sheet.
Sounds like what someone where I worked said when asked what oil he was using in a piece of equipment: "Oily oil!" What more would one need to know?