Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 236d skid big enough?

ivelookedinurbuttb4 · 2023-10-13 14:41

Looking to purchase a cat 236d skid steer for dirt work using a power rake, trencher (36"48") and possibly a bush hog down the road. It would more than likely be a standard flow machine. Is this going to be sufficient enough to run the attachments? I've looked at the specs on the other d series and it seems that the only difference is the weight of the machine and an increase in lifting capacity. The horsepower is the same at 74. TIA

Replies17
  1. #1heymccall2023-10-13 15:13

    Them all being dirt toys listed, I believe a rubber track machine would be a better choice. With that said, we ran 1845C (4 of them) with (OTT) Over The Tire tracks, all pushing 72A rockhounds, 78" preparators and 96" Harley rakes, for umpteen years. Without the tracks, usage was nearly impossible when soil was wet. Loegering tracks held up the best, and were the easiest to install, but we had to use wheel spacers, and OTT tracks caused tons of premature drive chain failures. With tracks and wheel spacers on these 1845C's, the increased width was enough that they wouldn't fit between the fenders on some of our trailers.

  2. #2ivelookedinurbuttb42023-10-13 20:05

    I forgot to say that I will be running ott on it. Didn't realize the tracks are that hard on the drive chains. It looks like they call for a 3.5" spacer as well so I'll make sure the machine will fit.

  3. #3KSSS2023-10-13 20:24

    I used to run Loegering tracks on 465 CASE skid steers. I was able to just flip the rims around and not need spacers. Depends on the offset of the rim, but something to look into. None of the attachments you lift really require that much lift capacity. If you don't anticipate needing more lift capacity the 236 would likely be enough. Sometimes its a good idea to consider going a little bigger just to allow some capacity for growth, handling bigger dirt buckets and so forth, but you know your situation the best.

  4. #4ivelookedinurbuttb42023-10-13 22:08

    Did you have any drive chain issues with the case and the ott? The cat d series mostly have the same specs except for weight of the machine and the lift capacity. This may be a dumb question, but if I add plate weight to the back of the machine does that give me more lifting capacity, or does the lifting capacity come from bigger cylinders as the machine gets heavier (higher series numbers)? Appreciate the info!

  5. #5Nige2023-10-14 06:06

    Bolt-on counterweights are offered as an option on the 236D. AFAIK they are used with the same implement (lift arm, cylinders, etc) package but to give you a definitive answer on how much the lift capacity would be changed by adding the counterweights would require a machine Serial Number. See attached.

  6. #6thendrix2023-10-14 08:16

    I would bet with wheel spacers you should expect some bearing failure. Maybe not terribly often but definitely more frequently. When you think of increased lift capacity, keep in mind lift capacity and break out force are two different things.

  7. #7KSSS2023-10-14 08:45

    I never had any chain issues with the 465, but those machines were massively built. The chains were 120 sized. The smaller the machine, I think the more issues you see when you add OTT. The smaller machines simply are not made to see that type of stress typically. Also know that when you put OTT on, that it does act like a counterweight to some extent. They are heavy, and you can lift more with them on. I don't know if a 246D has heavier chains than does a 236. If it does, that could also be a reason to upsize. I also had the track system from Loegering that you pull the wheels and bolt on the track system (name escapes me for some reason). I did snap a chain on a CASE 440 with a set of those.

  8. #8Nige2023-10-14 09:30

    There used to be a heavy-duty wheel bearing option for skid steers. I don't know if it is available for the 236D.

  9. #9heymccall2023-10-14 11:14

    Between 4 1845c, and umpteen chains, usually the driven chain, I've never had wheel bearing failure, ever.

  10. #10ivelookedinurbuttb42023-10-14 12:46
  11. #11Nige2023-10-14 13:12

    All I can tell you right off the bat is that the chains for a 236D and for a 246D are different Part Numbers. Whether that means they are a different size or the same size but a different length I don't know.

  12. #12KSSS2023-10-14 15:26

    I doubt a sales guy would know that, but the service department should be able to tell you.

  13. #13Nige2023-10-14 17:38

    Having dug a bit deeper into the Part Numbers the 236D chain links are narrower than those on the 246D - 1-7/16" versus 1-3/4".

  14. #14ivelookedinurbuttb42023-10-14 18:05

    Are you finding the information through cats website? I was having trouble finding the exact parts. Thank you for looking that up. Really appreciate it!

  15. #15Nige2023-10-14 18:07

    Yes, but not SIS.

  16. #16ivelookedinurbuttb42023-10-29 09:50

    Can heavier drive chains be put on the 236 or would I need to upgrade other things to accommodate this?

  17. #17Nige2023-10-29 09:54

    No they can’t. Your only option is a larger machine.