Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 240

jakesdad ยท 2010-05-07 21:55

I have been looking to buy a excavator. And I called on a cat 240 but the sales man couldnot tell me what kind of engine it had. Or the size or hp.Can anyone help me out?

Replies11
  1. #1TD-52010-05-07 22:39

    The E & EL 240 were built 1987 to 1994. 50,000 to 52000 lbs. The engine was a 3304 rated 148hp @2200rpm. This is from the brochure at the following link: http://www.cescoused.com/images/specs/764.pdf The 200 & 300 models of this series seems to have been more popular than the 240. Don't see to many 240's out there for sale.

  2. #2mitch5042010-05-08 11:49

    The Cats with an E started life as mitsubishis. The cats that start with a 2 but with no E are original Cats. The ones that start with a 3 are cats built after they bought mitsubishi out of the trackhoe business and used most of their design. I ran mitzi-bitzis before cat bought them and loved them. They evidently put 3304s in the E240s once they became Cats. I think they are probably in the top 5 engines I have messed with. sounds like a good machine

  3. #3mitch5042010-05-08 12:27

    Thanks! That is a good link to a bunch of brochures! You should post that in Link Exchange at the top of the forum.:salute :drinkup Thanks

  4. #4plantman.uk2010-05-08 14:46

    i hope you don't mind me asking this question.why would you consider buying a machine from a guy who clearly does not know his machinery?..

  5. #5TD-52010-05-08 15:46

    It appears I don't have perrmission to post in that section Here is the link to Cesco equipments page listing all the brochures, Someone at that company went to alot of work & deserves a big thanks. I have used the site many times in my research of older equipment/excavators http://www.cescoused.com/specs.php

  6. #6mitch5042010-05-08 17:07

    HEY MODERATORS!! This is a good link to older equip specs. Can go it to link exchange?

  7. #7jakesdad2010-05-14 20:29

    thanks for the info.I guess the price is pretty good on this machine.It looks good too. Tracks look good. TD-5 you are wright there are not many of 240s out for sale.Is the cat 3304 a good engine ? Or what should I look for?

  8. #8mitch5042010-05-15 11:18

    The 3304 is an excellent engine.

  9. #9TD-52010-05-15 17:36

    The 3300 series engines have been around a long time, 3304 was used in the earlier 215 & some 225 excavators. 3306 was used in 235's, EL300's, 330 excavators, D6 dozers to name a few. My experience with these engines is mostly in the marine industry as Gen set & Hydraulic pump drives & they were an excellent engine in that application.

  10. #10mitch5042010-05-16 11:56

    3304 was in some late 215 also, 219s d4e,518,525,some graders and a lot of other stuff I can't remember

  11. #11ILLICEMAN2010-05-16 12:40

    E 200 I HAVE HAD SERVERAL E 220.EL200.ALL B,S tHEY WERE ALL GREAT MACHINES. USED UNITS WITH BOTH ENGINES AND CAN,T SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT BOTH ENGINES.i DO THINK THE CAT MIGHT RESELL A LITTLE BETTER. THE ONLY REASON I WENT TO A DEERE WAS I WANTED A BETTER CAB.:usa