Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 242b auxiliary hydraulics not working

KJG0410 ยท 2021-10-05 18:28

I attached a hydraulic auger to my skid steer and went to use it but as soon as I press the joystick button the auger just made a quick jerk and thats all it did. It worked the last time it was attached. I disconnected the pressure side from the auger and tried it again and it just shoots out a squirt of hydraulic oil and then stops as soon as I press the joystick button. Please let me know if anyone has advice on what might be causing this problem.

Replies9
  1. #1KJG04102021-11-14 19:15

    I don't know if I am not posting to the right area or if I'm doing something wrong but if somebody can let me know so I can get some help on my problem.

  2. #2Bobcat Crazy2021-11-14 19:45

    Hi, It looks like you are posting in the correct place (from what little I know). I don't have any experience with what you are dealing with so hopefully some of the other Guys will be able to help you. Good luck!

  3. #3KJG04102022-01-10 10:01

    Just asking again for some help. I use this skid steer on the farm and I just need to diagnose the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

  4. #4mg23612022-01-10 11:56

    The Cat guys will need a serial number.

  5. #5Camshawn2022-01-10 16:05

    You have proven the supply side to the auger. Did the return quick connect seat on your machine? I have had that problem. If the return is seated, does the auger turn by hand?

  6. #6Steve Frazier2022-01-11 22:38

    Is the auger the only attachment you're having a problem with? Do other attachments work properly?

  7. #7Specialforces18E2022-01-12 00:34

    hmmm

  8. #8KJG04102022-07-05 12:02

    Thank you for replying and sorry I did not reply back sooner. I waited and got no responses so I thought I did something wrong on the forum. Caterpillar Skid Steer 242b Serial Number BXM2448 I checked the return seat and it is seated properly. With both lines connected, I turned the auger head with a wrench, forward and backward, and I can hear hydraulic fluid moving. I only have a hydraulic auger

  9. #9KJG04102022-07-30 10:45

    I did not get any help from this thread so I just moved forward on my own. I was able to get a manual ($20 for an online version) and followed the Electrical and Hydraulics for my Auxiliary Hydraulics lines on the machine. The jerking of the auxiliary lines was just the initial pressure of the hydraulic pump when the machine started up, not really the auxiliary hydraulics working at all when you pressed the button on the joystick. The first place I check was the fuse box for the machine, in front of the seat behind the panel. There are 2 fuses for the Hydraulics and both were good but I replaced them anyway and I cleaned the remaining and reseated all of them.(No Change) Second, I unbolted and lifted the cab. I disconnected and jumpered past the seat circuit. Using the schematics I determined the location of the solenoids for the auxilliary hydraulic. There are 2 solenoids located on top of what appears to be a hydraulic connections block, located on the left-hand side of my machine just underneath the cab. Here is where I discovered my problem. The front solenoid wires had apparently been taped to the solenoid and had become detached from the solenoid itself. I did start the machine and engaged the auxiliary hydraulics to insure I was getting power through the lines and I did get the right amperage before and when engaged. Instead of someone purchasing the proper connector and connecting it back correctly, they just taped it. I purchased the connector ($7), don't let them forget to sell you the pin holders for the connector(2 for $4), from caterpillar. I rewired the connector and reattached it back to the solenoid, after checking the voltage to the pins. I also checked the wiring on the other solenoid and cleaned it. I reattached the jumpered seat connector, cleaned up the area under the cab, and closed the cab and bolted it back down. I did connect my auxiliary hydraulics to my auger and engaged them from the cab. Problem solved. Hope this helps the next person. It seems intimidating at first but ended up being pretty straight forward process. Check Points: Fuses Solenoid Power at the Solenoid Joystick Power when engaged at the Solenoid.