Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 245D Error Message “E875-1”

Popntx ยท 2021-04-25 14:10

I have a 2014 CAT 246D that I bought used last year and have put about 300 trouble free hours on it mainly clearing brush. I hadn't used it for 2-3 weeks and when I started it up yesterday it started up just fine but after running for a few minutes I started getting an error message that states "E875-1 Low System Voltage Check the battery and alternator". I then got another error message "E875-2" which the manual indicates is a more serious problem. Other than that the machine is running fine. I let it sit for a while, started it back up with no problem, and then started getting the same message. The display shows 12 Volts before starting and then hovers between 11.9 and 12.1 Volts while running. I put a battery tester on the battery and getting a reading for Cranking Volts of 12.01 "High", and the same 12.01 voltage with the engine running but the battery tester states that it's "Low". Frankly I'm not sure that I'm using the battery tester correctly. Nevertheless, from what I'm seeing it appears that the battery is fine. Should the voltage be higher while the machine is running? I'm concerned it might be the alternator and an expensive fix that might require being towed into a shop. Appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2021-04-25 14:48

    Your system voltage should be around 13.5-13.8v with the engine running if the alternator is correctly charging the battery. This would typically be the case immedaitely after starting because of the electrical energy from the battery that was used in cranking the starter. A well-charged battery "at rest" should give a reading of 12.6-12.8v. Lead-acid battery cells are rated at 2.2v each, so 6 of them together would nominally be 13.2v. In practice it's somewhat less than that, but certainly more than 12.0v. Finger of suspicion pointed at the alternator, unless there is a dodgy fuse or relay somewhere. Without a Serial Number it's all supposition.

  2. #2Popntx2021-04-25 15:12

    What serial number would help with the diagnosis? The serial number of the skid steer? I can provide that as well as any other information needed.

  3. #3Nige2021-04-25 15:14

    The S/N of the machine, actually the last 8 characters of the 17-character PIN would do fine. That would identify the correct electrical scehmatic. There are 10 different models of 249D.

  4. #4Popntx2021-04-25 15:37

    Sorry for the confusion. It's a 246D. The title of my thread is incorrect. Anyway, the last 8 digits of the S/N are BYF01055.

  5. #5Nige2021-04-25 15:52

    I think you need to check the alternator connections for corrosion and for being tight. Also check ground cables and all the connections to/from the battery. Remove and clean everything that looks the least bit suspect, even those that don't........ I'll send you a copy of the electrical schematic that you can use to see where all the connections are. If everything checks out the last possibility is the alternator has failed. This is your worst nightmare because a new genuine OEM one costs $785.

  6. #6Popntx2021-04-25 15:58

    Thanks. Installing a new alternator is well beyond my skill level so I'd have to have it done for me. Is the $785 just for the alternator or does it include the labor to install?

  7. #7Nige2021-04-25 16:05

    Heck no. Labour @ $150/hr for diagnostic time & replacement would be on top of that. So you have no tools of your own.? If that's the case how do you plan on carrying out all the checks that I suggested earlier.? Replacing an alternator is not exactly rocket science. The steps leading up to the decision to replace it is the part where the diagnostic skills are required. I know there are quite a few TX-based mechanics on HEF but no idea if any of them are close to your location.

  8. #8Bryn Casson2022-01-10 19:31

    I have a 277c thats doing the same thing. Active codes are 41-4 and E875-2. Battery is new and seems fine on the load tester and it seems to be charging when running. Ive done a quick scan of the ground cables and everything looks fine. I also have a few more inactive codes that have popped up in the last month or two not sure if they are related or not. Saved codes 444-5 Starter Motor Relay Current below normal E875-2 E569-2 Unexpected Left Motor Reverse Speed Detected 41-4 8Volt DC Supply Voltage below normal E568-2 Unexpected Left Motor Forward Speed Detected 358-5 Implement Pilot Pressure Supply Solenoid Current below normal E875-2 Low System Voltage Incorrect Signal 355-5 Lower Solenoid #1 Current below normal E875-1 Low System Voltage "Data valid but below normal operational range 354-5 Raise Solenoid #1 Current below normal 681-5 Parking Brake Solenoid Current below normal 1706-5 Right Drive Pump Reverse Control Solenoid Current below Normal 1705-5 Right Drive Pump Forward Control Solenoid Current below normal 1704-5 Left Drive Pump Reverse Control Solenoid Current below normal 1703-5 Left Drive Pump Forward Control Solenoid Current below normal 2687-2 Right Drive Motor Speed Sensor #1 Incorrect Signal 2688-2 Right Drive Motor Speed Sensor #2 Incorrect Signal 2687-8 Right Drive Motor Speed Sensor #1 AbnormalSignal 2688-8 Right Drive Motor Speed Sensor #2 AbnormalSignal 2685-2 Left Drive Motor Speed Sensor #1 Incorrect Signal 2686-2 Left Drive Motor Speed Sensor #2 Incorrect Signal 91-3 Throttle Position Sensor Voltage above normal 1076-5 Engine Cooling Fan Bypass Solenoid Current below normal 110-3 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Voltage above normal 600-3 Hydraulic Oil Temperature Sensor Voltage above normal

  9. #9Nige2022-01-11 07:58

    Have you measured the voltage at the alternator when the engine is running.?

  10. #10Bryn Casson2022-01-11 12:28

    Yes both the Incab display and ohm meter read 14.3v

  11. #11Nige2022-01-11 16:07

    Something's strange somewhere. E875-2 Active means system voltage has been less than 12.0v for over 30 seconds. See below. It may be worth your while to try chasing down the 41-4. The stabilized 8v is what powers machine sensors including the drive motor speed sensors. If you want an electrical schematic to help with that you I'll need a Serial Number