Can anyone tell me if the caterpillar 246 drive motor will fit the 246 B skidsteer? I have a 246B but the right driver doesn't turn when under load , seems as if the left drive motor is doing most if not all the work , but I got a rexroth motor from a 246 , will it fit the 246B ?
What's the S/N of the 246B.?
Hey the s/n is CAT246BCPAT02843
OK, so the motor on PAT02843 is a 220-8162 which services to 280-7856/Reman 10R3336. Just confirm is it single speed or 2-speed.?
I have no idea, I'm not that experienced in dealing with the hydraulics on the machine, so far the only difference I can tell between the two is the lip that goes around where it will bolt to the frame, I'm hoping it fits inside the frame , I'm probably not explaining it right, I'll take some pics later today
i didn't realize that you already had the drive motor from the 246. I can see that early 246's (prior to the B model) had a different Part Number of drive motor compared to later ones. The later 246 machines shared the same 220-8162 motor that was originally fitted to your machine. Digressing slightly. If you currently have a drive motor that is potentially coming apart internally have you looked at the hydraulic filter for the presence of metal/bronze particles.? You really need to because if you find them then you have a FAR bigger problem than simply replacing a motor.
I would spend some time troubleshooting first. Motor might be perfectly fine. There are a few other components in the system that will cause weak travel power.
I would start with checking motor case drain volume. Take the case drain line off the motor. Plug the line on the machine side and run a hose from the motor case drain fitting into a bucket. Its important that you do not run the machine without an open line out of the motor case drain - you will blow up the motor for sure if its blocked off. Not sure if CAT has a case drain volume spec for that unit. I know the newer units didn't. All they could tell me was that it shouldn't be much more than a pencil lead sized trickle with the motor stalled out under full flow and oil at operating temperature. Generally speaking I've found that to be relatively true for most hydraulic motors. @Nige might be able to find a spec if CAT has one.
Well the 246 motor fit the 246b perfectly. I now have to refill with hydraulic fluid and give it test .and I haven't checked the filter any metal debris as yet . One more question, does cat sell the caps for the hydraulic hoses , or do you know of a website where I can source any. I'm trying to save as much fluid as I can if I have remove the hydraulic pump for any reason , I'd like a cap for each hose .
I'm not what or where the motor case line is , is the the small line between the two big lines on the motor it self?
Changed the motor and it seems to be working fine
I suggest to change the hydraulic oil filter at the earliest opportunity and cut the old one open for inspection.
Hey nige , I have another problem, my camshaft broke ,do I need to remove the engine or can I take the broken cam out with the engine in.
Pull the engine. If the cam indeed broke valves and pistons have probably had contact without consent.
I got u ,I know but normally can the cam be removed without taking the engine out , or will the lifters be a problem, I think last time I removed the cam the engine was laying on its head , will the lifters fall out?
I think I'm confusing tappets with lifters,the things that the pusrods sit in , what are they called?
See the illustration below. The "cam follower" is known as a lifter in Cat terminology. Also the rocker arm is sometimes referred to as a tappet. Where exactly is your problem.?
Oh then it's the cam follower I mean , will those drop in the oil pan , or do I have turn the engine on its head ?
The cam followers will have to be extracted before the camshaft can be removed otherwise they will fall downwards. They may come out upwards after removing the valve gear but I don’t know if the pushrod holes in the head casting are big enough for them to pass through. Rather than struggling you might be better advised to simply snatch the engine complete.
No they're not so I guess I'll have take the engine out ...thanks nige.