Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 246 Hydraulic Leak – Lift Cylinder?

01Time · 2021-11-18 17:14

I've recently noticed hydraulic oil along the right hand side of the body of my Cat 246. I can't seem to see an active leak while I'm running the machine and I haven't had to add any hydraulic oil, but it's definitely leaking from the area of the (front end of the) right side lift cylinder. Before I start taking things apart, is there something else that might be leaking other than the cylinder? I had the cylinder rebuilt about 200 hours ago.

Replies3
  1. #1Mike852021-11-18 19:18

    It may be the shadow but the pipe looks like it’s damaged. It may have a rub in it if that’s a dent. The eye looks dry so I don’t think it’s a cylinder. Best to clean it and have a good careful look.

  2. #201Time2021-11-18 21:41

    Interesting...yeah, I think I remember seeing overspray on both lines, but the one is pretty dark compared to the other one. I don't really see any obvious damage to it, but I'm thinking the problem my lie where it connects to the cylinder? Here's another photo I took the other evening that shows a bit of a broader view.

  3. #3Mike852021-11-19 06:43

    The pipe looks shiny at the front of the square plate. It may be rubbed there