While trying to run a brush mower I loss hydronic power even under full throttle while trying to cut minimal grass. I have to back up allow the mower to gain momentum then start back in but in about 10 feet I lose momentum and have to start over. It also losses momentum in the blades when I tilt the mower. I replaced the hydraulic filter and the hydraulic site glass is full. Cat 246 serial # see pic.
What are the hyd. requirements for the brush mower and what does your machine supply? If it's a high flow/high pressure brush mower it won't work on a std. flow machine. If you're driving fast could also be taking power from the mower.
Thanks for the reply. Mower manufacturer says it will run with standard flow and my skid steer should be rated to 22 gpm at full idle per CAT. Tested with flow gauge and found it maxed out at 15 gpm and would drop drastically reading 10-5 gpm when trying to run the mower then using the tilt. Clean unit doesn’t leak a drop. Main pump bad ? Auxiliary pump bad? ( runs auxiliary hydraulics, tilt, blower fan per CAT) Solenoids? Thanks for your feed back.
Auxilary and tilt run off same pump when you tilt the mower will slow down. At high idle whats the aux flow at the pressure it is to be checked at (nige!) I havent got 246 books
Something is wrong if you're supposed have 22 GPM and only getting 15 GPM. Is your machine reaching full RPM? Any time you operate the lift or tilt while running the mower will slow the mower unless there is a dedicated pump to run the mower. It sounds like your machine isn't running at full throttle. I'd check that first. If it checks out then check your aux. flow. Could it be adjustable or the mower has a flow restrictor installed?
CAT said 22 gpm at high idle
That’s for a new machine, one the age of yours might be lucky to produce half of that unless it was fully rebuilt with new pumps, etc. So if you’re only getting 15 gpm right now it’s probably going to cost a fair bit to find the missing 7 gpm.
How many hours on your machine?
It reads 4000 hours
So 15 gpm on the meter at no pressure(needle valve wide open). What is the flow gpm at 1500 psi? 2000 psi? And what is max or relief pressure?
I've seen some hyd. pump ratings list the GPM based on the volume engineered but in use the GPM is less. (like a theoretical rating) I think it may be at zero pressure and goes down the higher the pressure goes. I think this is along the same thing that ozarkag is implying above. Has Max. RPM been measured? Too lose over 30% flow seems like there would be other tell tale signs the pump could be worn like less break out force or more difficulty in lifting heavy loads. Small engine manufacturers got called out for unrealistic power ratings but I don't think Cat or other major brands would give exaggerated GPM ratings. I think there is likely cycle times listed for lift to full height, dump and return to ground. You could measure how long to lift to full height and compare to specs. Specs. should say if it's with rated load or empty bucket.
I think that model still has a gear pump . I would start by inspecting the pump. It’s easy to get to with the cab up. Hardest part is draining the hyd tank.