Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 246 – what year for bad oil pumps

Philip Berardi ยท 2024-04-02 21:13

I am looking to upgrade from my Bobcat 753. I found a Cat 246 serial CAT00246P5SZ04550 for a decent price with 2k hours on it. Could someone help me understand if there was a period of years where they had the oil pump issues? I thought I had heard that the earlier 246's were OK?

Replies18
  1. #1Philip Berardi2024-04-03 09:30

    Just called CAT and the unit was built on 6/28/2001. If anyone has any info on the earlier model 246's and the likelihood of having a good oil pump that would be helpful.

  2. #2Tyler d4c2024-04-03 10:18

    Is the engine painted yellow or is it black with aluminum castings Yellows where remans. Most everyone of them had a engine put in. May I suggest finding a 246b. They had what imo is a better engine.

  3. #3Philip Berardi2024-04-03 10:49

    It is black with silver.

  4. #4Steve Frazier2024-04-04 22:32

    My 2000 248 blew up, same machine as the 246 with High Flow. Original engine was Cat yellow, the replacement is black. I was never able to determine if they came up with an updated version that took care of the oil pump issue, my oil pump housing broke open.

  5. #5Philip Berardi2024-04-04 23:22

    How long did your replacement last ?

  6. #6Tyler d4c2024-04-05 07:00

    246 I had had a yellow engine and someone wrote in the engine compartment engine replaced at 79 hours perhaps my idea isn't a accurate way to tell

  7. #7Steve Frazier2024-04-07 22:30

    Still running today. I had about 1200 hours when it blew. I only use it around the house anymore, folded my landscape construction business so I don't wrack up the hours much.

  8. #8Philip Berardi2024-04-08 07:28

    very tough position. the unit is beautiful and well taken care of but i don't know what to do

  9. #9Tyler d4c2024-04-08 07:36

    If your only putting on 50 or 100 hours a year and you keep up on your oil changes (not really sure if it matters in this case can't hurt tho) you'll be just fine. The absolute worst think that could happen is the engine blows up but that could happen with any engine on the face of the earth

  10. #10KSSS2024-04-08 09:13

    It can happen to any machine, but it happens a lot more with these machines, than any SSL I can think of. Those engines are expensive, and cost way more than the value of the machine. The fact that it doesn't get many hours makes it even worse in my mind. If the engine lets go, your just going to have to eat the cost or junk it. Its not like it makes any real money like it would if you were using it commercially. I would rather spend more money on something else up front that doesn't have the history these engines did, then roll the dice and lose. The money spent on putting it back together could have been spent on a much better machine initially.

  11. #11Tyler d4c2024-04-08 10:46

    Yes I agree but for personal use I wouldn't be afraid of it

  12. #12Nige2024-04-08 15:18

    Buy it anyway and throw a new-design oil pump on it just to be safe.?

  13. #13Tyler d4c2024-04-08 17:18

    Do you have a number for it. I never realized there was a updated one for them

  14. #14Nige2024-04-08 17:39

    I don't think it's necessarily a new Part Number, most likely the same P/N with internal parts updated in some way. Buy a pump today and you should be getting all the updates made over the past 20 years since this range of engines was originally built.

  15. #15Tyler d4c2024-04-08 18:07

    I'll have to remember that if I ever wind up with another one

  16. #16Philip Berardi2024-04-08 21:00

    does anyone have the part number for the pump?

  17. #17Tyler d4c2024-04-08 21:26

    Need engine serial to verify

  18. #18Philip Berardi2024-04-09 07:34

    serial is CAT00246P5SZ0455D