Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 246D wont turn right and faults out

RustyShackleford ยท 2025-12-11 11:59

Hello everyone, We have a CAT246D, PIN# *CAT0246DTBYF01258 that wont turn right. Whenever you go to turn right the machine faults out and needs to be restarted. It turns left fine. It has a flashing exclamation mark on the console which Im sure is a code but I have no way of reading this without the CAT software as far as I'm aware. The console is the version that has fuel level, hour meter, number buttons, and a grid of warning lights which from what I've read isn't able to read codes off of without the software I have verified hydraulic fluid level, lifted the cab and inspected all wiring. The machine has under 600 hours on it I believe. I am experienced in troubleshooting and mechanical repair but heavy machinery is completely new to me. Was hoping maybe someone can point out some things to check before I have to pay for a tech to come out. Thank you

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2025-12-11 14:42

    So your panel looks like the illustration below, correct.? if that is the case you are going to have to get someone with ET to read the Codes. This doesn't have to be a dealer, you may have independent techs in your area who have it. Whoever you get make sure that in addition to identifying the Codes that they also download and give to you an Adobe pdf version of the ET Product Status Report. in addition

  2. #2RustyShackleford2025-12-11 14:58

    Correct, that is what the panel looks like. I did make a call to a local service company but their rates were what led me to make an account on here in hopes this was an issue that usually had a common cause lol. I will definitely take your advice and get a copy of that report

  3. #3Nige2025-12-11 15:08

    It's unfortunate that there are three types of panel for that product line and the one you have is the only one of them that does not permit diagnostics to be accessed via the panel. After this episode maybe you need to think about upgrading.? Did you ask them what their rates would be if you trailered the machine to them - if that possibility exists.?

  4. #4RustyShackleford2025-12-12 06:13

    It is my bosses equipment so ultimately not my decision to upgrade. If I owned it personally then I would definitely do so. He is interested in getting the CAT ET software after all of this though. I did some research and saw the offering MekTools has for significantly cheaper, does anyone have any first hand experience with them? Yes I did, field service was $287 an hour, shop rate was $254 an hour. My only issue is that I'm still hopeful they can diagnose and then I can do the labor myself. If I tow it an hour to their shop just for them to diagnose and then an hour back to my shop for myself to fix it just makes a giant mess of the situation.

  5. #5Nige2025-12-12 11:32

    First up I would ask them if they are prepared to simply hook up ET to the machine while it is on your trailer if you haul it to their shop and how many hours (1 max I would have thought) they would charge you for downloading a PSR which will contain all the information you need to fix the problem with help from this forum. The impression that you give above is that they are not a dealer ("I did make a call to a local service company") so consider this scenario. If you call on their field service the chances are it could play out something like this...... 1. Tech drives 1 hour to the machine, hooks up and identifies the problem. Say 3 hours total including driving to/from their shop to the machine. 2 .Not being a dealer it is highly unlikely tech will have parts with him, so he has to drive back to Cat dealer get parts and return to site - another 3 hours. 3. Install parts & test - maybe 1 hour. 4. So if you get away with anything less than 8 hours @ $287/hr = $2300 you would consider yourself lucky. The above makes hauling the machine to them for a diagnostic, even though it would be a pain, more appealing, no.? The alternative is to cross your fingers and start firing the Parts Cannon. That could get right expensive right quick and still not provide a solution.

  6. #6RustyShackleford2025-12-12 11:57

    Trying to avoid the parts cannon as much as possible. Ideally I will have him drive here and give me a diag which will result in 3 hours of $284. I can then source the parts and repair myself and stop involving them altogether. May I ask your opinion on the Mek Tools system? https://www.mektool.com/product-page/et-sis-toughbook-cf-31-heavy-duty-diesel

  7. #7Nige2025-12-12 12:09

    Sorry no idea. I've only ever used ET. I would suggest to check what are their minimum billable hours for a field service call to avoid surprises. Some companies have a 4-hour minimum charge, others even more than that.

  8. #8RustyShackleford2026-01-06 11:05

    I fixed the issue and figured I'd update the thread incase anyone ever has the same issue. I found another thread of a guy having a somewhat similar issue which was fixed by replacing the joystick base. This was the only other similar instance I could find online. ( HeavyEquipmentForums ) I took a chance and bought a replacement base (PN 456-0168) which fixed the problem. The base is pricey at $663 but I saved a bunch of money by not involving any service companies so it was a win in my book.

  9. #9Nige2026-01-06 11:29

    Congratulations on the gamble paying off. I don't think there is much chance that you would get that lkucky a second time so maybe consider upgrading your panel to the optional one that enables Codes to be accessed, and many other things as well. This is not the all-singing all-dancing Advanced LCD Display BTW, it's the one shown below. The three buttons at the bottom get you into diagnostics.

  10. #10RustyShackleford2026-01-06 14:38

    have a part number for that by any chance?

  11. #11Nige2026-01-06 16:41

    Originally it was 264-8861. That P/N was superceded by 346-6336. There is/was a retrofti kit to make the update but the price may make your eyes water. The panel (allegedly) fits both C & D-Series machines. I don't 100% guarantee it will fit yours.