Hey guys, i have a new to me 2007, 247B with a reman 3024c tier 2 engine that has approximately 1000 hours. I notice a tapping/knocking noise from the engine whenever i'm on an incline facing uphill. When i'm on level ground the noise is less and sometimes intermittent, perhaps 60% of the time. Facing downhill all noise goes away. Recent 15w-40 oil change but the noise was present prior to changing oil. I know these engines have had issues with oil pickup tubes in the past. Anybody have a similar issue or thoughts on what it might be?
Need to check oil pressure in main oil gallery to see if low. Would be wise to do an oil sample with engine running to see what is going on in terms of particles of iron or aluminum, silica, diesel fuel in oil. An oil sample can tell a lot. Can help make decisions about repair or get rid of. Thats where I would start before changing any parts. Any decent heavy equipment mechanic will have a probe to do a live test sample, which is more accurate. Simon C
Solid advice, thanks. Do you know if I just hook up a manual tester to where the oil pressure switch is located? Any thoughts on what kind of oil pressure readings I should be looking for?
If you want any technical specifications, test procedures, etc, a Serial Number is always a good starting point.
MTL04366 is the CAT 247B serial and the reman engine is KRD 02231 with an arrangement number of 10R 7922. If anybody has access to some info on that engine that would be great. I’m curious what year the reman was installed.
No info available regarding DOM or specifications for your specific S/No or for the 10R7922 Arrgt Number in the usual locations. Maybe not surprising, small engines like a 3024 are not subject to the same level of testing (and availability of test data) as the larger engines. I'll see what I can chase down as regards oil pressure, etc, based on the machine Serial Number. That may take a bit longer.
If Nige can pull up the specs I'll get them at home when I get there. I have the New holland book for these engines it has more then the Caterpillar manuals it always seemed. These engines where sold under 5 or so different names and brands.
Tyler, I'm striking out at the moment because one of my normal go-to resources for data/information is offline. Whatever information you can pull up would be more than welcome.
I'll get it looked up as soon as I get home from the day job. These day jobs sure get in the way of the fun.
Got back online again. Here's what I could find about oil pressure. Minimum oil pressure at low idle with a temperature of 18-20°C (64-68°F) ... 9 psi Maximum engine oil pressure at high idle and at normal operating temperature ... 51 to 65 psi Pressure switch that is located on the housing for the rocker shaft assembly operates at the following value. ... 4.3psi Pressure switch that is located on the cylinder block operates at the following value. ... 14.2psi
Thanks a bunch for digging up the info, greatly appreciated. I’ll see if I can get a pressure tester on her soon.
My information states the same oil pressure as Nige has listed