I've got a 2000 Cat 248. Used it a bit last week and parked it, when I came back a couple days later found hydraulic oil running out from under it. The hydraulic tank was nearly empty by this point. I had a chance to lift the cab today and take a peek but it's very difficult to see much of anything with all the piping down there. There are two large diameter low pressure hoses coming off the bottom of the tank that disappear into the maze of pipes and hoses, I assume these supply the pump. The floor of the machine is soaked with oil but I can't see any obvious spot where it came from. It appears one of the hoses to the left side drive motor may be rubbing the floor. Would this allow the oil to drain while at rest? I wouldn't think so, it shouldn't have an oil supply if the drive lever isn't pulled? So I'm wondering how you get in to see what the problem is here. I'm 6'4", it looks like it will be real painful for me to try and lay on everything to reach down in the belly and feel around. Is there an access panel somewhere? Thanks!!
I have a 2001 246 Cat which doesn't have high flow and therefore easier to trace hoses. If it were me, I would unbolt the belly pan, wash it, add hydraulic oil and look for seepage. If you can't find it then, run it at idle. You might be able to bypass the seat switch and lower the guard and then start it with the cab up, I'm not sure. Otherwise it's not too hard to start it with the cab down, get out and flip it up before all the oil runs out. I'm not certain but I think if the control valve is neutral, a drive motor line may be common with the reservoir and thus siphon out when it has a leak.
Thanks for the reply, I didn't realize there was a removeable panel on the bottom. I'll get the thing up on blocks and undo that panel, I should be able to locate it then without too much trouble. With the machine being 17 years old now any of the hoses could have rotted, and I do see some rust on some of the fittings.
I'm almost positive there is no removable belly pan on the A series Cat which makes it a huge pain to clean. I made a special tool for cleaning because of this. If I were to keep an A series Cat for long I'd zip a hole in the belly and make my own pan. Might be a couple smaller clean out places in the front or back. Been a while since I've had one. Finding leaks is a pain without being able to clean everything first.
My 246 has a small belly panel, about 15" square IIRC. It's a 2001. They sure need one. If you don't have one, another option is to wash on steep terrain or jack up one end so water runs out.
My machine is one of the first 248s built, it was the first my dealer sold. No bottom access plate. I'm so pressed for time and way too big to crawl into the machine I hired the local traveling mechanic to look at it. He found a hose about a foot long with a 90° steel sweep fitting on one end that had rusted off. I guess it was just by chance that it let go after the machine was parked, it could have been a real big problem. The Cat dealer is just 20 minutes away, he got a hose made up and I'm back in business!!
I know that his is a bit off topic but I wonder Steve...why are you still running Cat skids when you had such trouble with the motor in the one? Didn't you start the thread "Another Perkins Pukes"?
Because they are the best operating, simplest, best built out of any of the new catapiles. I'll keep my antique A model long after I get rid of my newest machine.
It's the same machine DGODGR. At this point it's 17 years old. The engine did let go and it sure seemed to have been a flaw that caused it but Cat stepped up and handed me a rebuilt engine at no cost with the machine officially out of warranty. And I agree with DoyleX, the Cat is easier to operate, quieter and more powerful than any other brand I've run of the same size. I'm starting to have to replace hoses now, but aside from that and the engine the machine has never given me trouble
Learned a lot here. Great read! Thanks.
I agree, Cat makes one of the better skid steers on the market.