Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 248 Joystick Broken

Steve Frazier ยท 2025-07-30 22:42

My 248 is 25 years old now and while operating it today I noticed the left joystick was at an odd angle. On closer look the base of the plastic handle is cracked allowing it to wobble on what I imagine is a steel stalk within it. The right side can't be far behind it, it has a similar crack but hasn't come loose yet. It appears to have cracked from age. I'm wondering what I have ahead of me as far as repairs go? Is the handle replaceable or is the joystick sold as a unit? ID is 6LZ00433

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2025-07-31 04:38

    If all your LH handle contains from the electrical side is a horn button then the handle is available separately. Part Number 159-5749, described in the parts catalogue as "Control Gp - Handle".

  2. #2Steve Frazier2025-08-01 23:19

    Thanks Nige! I think that's all it is, I don't run it as often as I used to but I'll check tomorrow. The right side has just a auxiliary hydraulics switch, I imagine similar?

  3. #3Universal Parts2025-08-02 03:41
  4. #4Nige2025-08-02 05:04

    There are two options for the RH handle. If it has two push buttons the handle is a 159-5751 that updates to a 218-6118. In the case of a proprotional thumbroller the handle is shown as a 160-4320 that updates to a 242-8279.

  5. #5Steve Frazier2025-08-03 21:30

    Thanks Nige. I've got the two button model for the hydraulics. My left stick has the same two buttons plus the horn button. I think those buttons may go to the electric connector on the boom for accessories but I've never had anything that plugs into it.

  6. #6Nige2025-08-04 05:22

    OK, so you have the optional 159-5750 LH Handle As.

  7. #7Steve Frazier2025-08-04 22:20

    Thank you!!