Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 249D, owner reviews????

Pineacres1 ยท 2017-10-08 23:50

Looking at a nice 249D Cat CTL. Looking for some owner insight on how you like it, its strengths and weaknesses, and well as likes and dislikes. I'm been searching for a machine to do some work on our golf course and this unit came up. Seems like a great smaller CTL with enough capacity to lift pallet yet move dirt. I'd really like a 259D but this unit came available and looking for some insight from owners. Searched the forums and don't see much for reviews.

Replies7
  1. #1Cmark2017-10-09 02:24

    I don't own one but I've done a few repairs and I really like the D series machines. They're like night and day compared to the C series. Totally redesigned for easier maintainability, fully enclosed cab and nice little Kubota engine.

  2. #2Pineacres12017-10-09 07:17

    Cmark, the engine is not a Kubota. Its a Cat Engine C2.2, Perkapillar I believe.

  3. #3Cmark2017-10-09 07:33

    OK, I'll take your word for it. I've only seen D series machines with Kubota motors but the rest of my comments stand.

  4. #4Pineacres12017-10-09 11:48

    Cmark, I did not realize you were from Australia. I could imagine Cat having a different engine in your machines versus ours manufactured here in the US. You should post a pic if you can of the Kubota crammed in there. I wish ours were manufactured with the Kubota.

  5. #5Cmark2017-10-09 15:33

    So it looks like there are three engine models across the range of D series skid steers and CTLs; C2.2, C3.3 and C3.8. The C2.2 is indeed a Perkapillar but the C3.3 and C3.8 are Kubota engines painted yellow.

  6. #6RTSmith2017-10-18 17:01

    Might want to see if you can get this thread moved over to the CTL section. May get some more visibility.

  7. #7CM19952017-10-18 19:19

    I agree - done.