Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 252 b skid steer no heat

platinum · 2015-10-22 14:35

Im doing pm on 252 b skid steer changed coolant and thermostat was due also been having issue with very little heat since last winter after changing coolant stat opens heater hoses get hot but still very little heat in cab I feel the heat control seems like its hot possible not opening any one have similar problems?

Replies17
  1. #1Nige2015-10-22 15:38

    There is a shutoff valve at the engine end of one of the heater hoses. Can you check to see if it is wide open..? It may be stuck and need closing & opening a few times. If it's open just a crack the lines will get hot but not so much heat out of the vents. I take it the A/C and the blower fan are all working fine..? These machines are prone to either blocking up or leaking heater/AC air ducts. Either way if it happens you don't get much air flow out of the vents.

  2. #2grandpa2015-10-22 19:48

    The temp control valve on the heater is a plastic item... they break easy if moved against the stop too hard. It'll feel like its moving on the knob, but just the knob is turning.

  3. #3Hstone2023-11-02 07:29

    I have a 267B and the blower motor is running great but no heat or air. All ducts are secure. Any ideas?

  4. #4Nige2023-11-02 07:37

    I assume the machine S/N is CYC-something. There are two types of heater. A full S/N is essential to figure out which of them you have. There is a valve that lives in the pipework underneath the heater core that is known for failing. Again a S/N would get you an illustration of what the assembly on your particular machine looks like.

  5. #5Hstone2023-11-02 07:41

    CYC01047

  6. #6Nige2023-11-02 07:48

    See attached. The valve is #24. They are known for the shaft breaking inside the body amongst others. Before you start disassembling try removing the knob #4 and see if you can feel any resistance from the shaft when you try to rotate it with a pair of pliers.

  7. #7Hstone2023-11-02 08:19

    Will this cause me to lose my freon?

  8. #8Nige2023-11-02 08:37

    No. That valve only controls the hot water side of the heater/AC unit. You should not have to de-gas the AC to get at that valve.

  9. #9Hstone2023-11-02 08:41

    Wonder why A/C isn't working.

  10. #10Nige2023-11-02 09:05

    The first issue is that you piggy-backed on to a thread titled "252B no heat". That got my mind focused on the heater side not the AC. I should have read your first post more closely. By the sound of it you could have bigger problems than possibly just that valve. there could well be a problem in the heater and another separate one in the AC side. I would suggest that the issue of no AC be parked for further down the road. Has the radiator coolant level been checked and is it correct.? Low coolant could easily result in no flow through the heater core. See the illustration below. Do the lines at the heater end get hot when the engine is up to normal temperature.? If not trace them back to the radiator area which is where they originate from (have to lift the radiator to inspect). Does one or both of them have a shutoff valve installed.? If not are the lines hot at the radiator end, at least for 12" or so away from the radiator.? Check if the heater valve is working, or at least that the shaft rotates and feels as though it's connected to something. If the shaft is broken inside the valve you will feel little or no resistance when you try to turn it.

  11. #11stoph2023-11-26 15:08

    Hey, Nige, this is so helpful; thanks! If this is the issue, this valve is braised in and not replaceable, correct? Meaning new core assy? --- Fans didn't work; replaced switch. Fans work. Put everything back together. Lots of air blowing, no hot air.

  12. #12Nige2023-11-26 15:16

    Post a Serial Number so that we can be sure what the pipework, etc, looks like.

  13. #13stoph2023-11-26 15:26

    ‍♂️ Of course, I know better. Thanks.

  14. #14Nige2023-11-26 15:46

    #3 at the engine end is a shutoff valve. Have you checked to see whether it is open or not.? All I can say is that the heater valve is a separate Part Number so it must be replaceable somehow. Hopefully someone else can offer suggestions.

  15. #15stoph2023-11-26 15:48

    Will check shortly. Thanks for your help!

  16. #16Hstone2023-12-06 07:13

    I finally got to check the machine and both hoses are warm at the radiator and there are no shutoff valves on or I cannot find any. I plan to check out the heater valve this weekend.

  17. #17stoph2023-12-12 20:42

    The finale: When I removed the cab heater core, I got less than a quart of coolant out of the core and both hoses. So, when I put it back together, I added a quart to the system. No heat. Troubleshot on my own for a long, hot minute (read hours). No luck. Lotsa Googling. Lotsa reading. More troubleshooting. No luck. Found this thread. Nige was a huge help. Thanks, Nige! (You taught me about that valve at the block) Still no heat. F#%K! (A lot of those.) Hmmmm, maybe.. Adds another quart of coolant. Then another. After 8 quarts of coolant (yes, diluted properly) radiator is full. (Que triumphant music) Magical heat! Happy to have heat. Mad I overlooked the obvious. Moral: A basic troubleshooting fail. I made assumptions.