Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 252 Skid Loader No Start

kilrbs ยท 2023-05-21 17:15

I have a 252 CAT skid loader with roughly 1400 hrs. It is not used commercially. I was using it the other da and it evrything was working as usual. I shut it off to move something and when I went to restart none of the dash lights around the key came on and it did not turn over. I checked the main circuit breaker, it is fine. I swapped every relay by the circuit breaker with no change. Al of the fuses are good. I get power to the key and two wires send power out when I turn it. None of the work lights nor dome light work either. Any ideas? Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2023-05-21 17:41

    If you want an electrical schematic to start tracing power that's going to need the machine Serial Number to find the right one.

  2. #2kilrbs2023-05-21 18:07

    FDG01636

  3. #3Nige2023-05-22 09:59

    Schematic sent. Check your messages.

  4. #4Nige2023-05-22 11:55

    While you are tracing power don't forget to check the condition of all the ground cables/straps, including both of the connections on the battery. There are a total of 6 grounds indicated on the schematic; 2 on the lower frame, 2 on the upper frame, one for the cab and one for the engine.

  5. #5kilrbs2023-05-23 12:32

    Thank you. I will be working on it this evening.

  6. #6Nige2023-05-23 12:40

    After the battery connections the cab ground strap might be a good place to start but TBH they all need to be removed, cleaned, and refitted.

  7. #7kilrbs2023-05-23 21:41

    You nailed it! It was the main battery ground lug broke off by the starter. Thank you for all the help. I feel like an idiot.