Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 252B2 blue smoke and no power

D3DaveC ยท 2015-01-19 20:28

I have a Cat 252B2 that will lose power and smokes blue from the exhaust. Before it would do this when there was a 1/4 tank of fuel and now the last 2 times it did this when the tank was half full. I changed the fuel filter with no results. This machine doesn't have the manual primer but primes when the key is turned on. Machine has 1600 hours. I tried to find a thread where a guy had a similar problem with a Cat skid steer I remember reading but couldn't find it. Any ideas? Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1D3DaveC2015-01-19 20:53

    257b2 down on power is the thread under track machines. Similar problem as mine. Mobil tech suggested a new pump which is located on the filter and said there is a change up to a better pump. Today I filled the machine with fuel as the problem persisted and it ran a lot better and good power but then smoked again. Wanted to keep trying it but was late for an appointment.

  2. #2Mobiltech2015-01-19 21:53

    The change up on a 252B2 is for machines below Serial number SCP06200 . Your symptoms sound like a loss of fuel pressure either due to a fuel system blockage or an intermittent pump problem.

  3. #3D3DaveC2015-01-20 08:17

    My serial number is below that. The bowl below the filter was clean when I bought this machine and is still clean. See what happens today.

  4. #4D3DaveC2015-01-20 09:37

    Running rough and smoking right away this morning. Put the bar down and turned the key on. Don't hear the pump going so time to phone for a pump.

  5. #5caterpillarmech2015-01-20 18:22

    More than likely. If you transfer pump is not working or clogged it will do what you are saying. Let us know how it goes.

  6. #6D3DaveC2015-01-20 19:24

    Cat has 2 pumps for this machine. Each has it's own filter which are different from the other. Comes as complete unit with filter for $533. Pick it up tomorrow.

  7. #7D3DaveC2015-01-21 19:29

    New pump come complete with new filter and bottom glass. Installed it and it runs great.

  8. #8Mobiltech2015-01-27 22:00

    Sounds good. Its just too bad that these new electric pumps are so pricey when Cat knows there is a problem with the old ones

  9. #9Bajanguy12022-12-18 21:54

    I read this with interest cuz my 246b is blowing blue smoke too .My electric pump broke down so I'm using a universal 12 volt one . But here I was thinking headgasket or rings which I had both just changed .i had no idea a pump will cause blue smoke too .

  10. #1092U 34062022-12-18 22:19

    Being honest, I'm pretty sure there's a fair few Cat skid steers running around with universal transfer pumps on them.