Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 257b final drive

sparkesrentals · 2024-12-31 12:52

Does anyone know how to find out my final drive part number? Machine serial number is CAT0257BVSLK06293 I have a nasty howl coming from the right side of the machine when turning; sounds like hydraulic strain. It also pulls to the right when trying to track straight. It seems the final drive on the right-hand side is weak or damaged. I'm just looking at what cost I could be into for a replacement drive motor. Was thinking of getting an aftermarket one to save some money since it's a '07, I rent it out to the public, and I'll probably upgrade to a newer machine in 2-3 years. A little background info: Machine is '07, as mentioned, with appx. 2800 hours on it. I just bought it in June and was working it relatively hard to develop a property - cutting topsoil with a straight cutting edge and then spreading 40 loads of 6" minus stone in a production manner. I never noticed this weakened side or howl in the beginning. I think it started after I blew a line to the drive motor on this side. Then another. It was a very busy summer with a lot going on, so I don't entirely recall when it started. I ended up replacing all of the lines to this side with hoses/fittings provided by Toromont Cat. I did try to run it at this time before filling up the hydraulic oil. It was probably close to empty at the time of trying it, and I was wondering why I had no functions in the controls before realizing I completely forgot that I dumped a ton of oil on the last hose blowout. I don't know if this could have caused damage to the drive motor? I figured if anything, it would have damaged the pump. I haven't checked the gear oil level in the drive motor yet, but if it was low and caused damage, I don't imagine flushing and replacing the gear oil would fix it at this point, would it? I also wondered if maybe I got dirt in a line or in a hose port on the motor as I was doing all of this work outside. I feel that a small piece of dirt would have flushed out into the hydraulic filter, though, but perhaps it's lodged. How likely is this to be the cause based on the description of how it's operating? All I know for sure at this point is that there is some sort of restriction on this side. Any further insight would be greatly appreciated. Also, are these drive motors directional (Left and Right?) or can the motor go on either side so I don't have to worry about mixing up the L/R part numbers? Thanks for reading!

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2024-12-31 13:17

    I would look at the oil first. If the planetary set is bad then at least the hydraulic/drive system will potentially not be contaminated. Lets you know where you stand that way. BTW the oil in there is an 85W/140 full synthetic gear oil (do NOT substitute) and should be changed every time the engine oil is changed. The book says 500 hours but that’s too long an interval.

  2. #2Nige2024-12-31 13:38

    The original Part Number when built (up to SLK06249) for the drive motor was 222-5662 that was later discontinued, being replaced by 280-7862 which is still a good number. There is a Reman P/N in the Cat system of 10R6131. Don't go for the earlier P/N as a replacement, it will be more trouble than it is worth. The above info is not guaranteed 100%, so check for a tag with a Part Number on your drive motor. The motors are interchangeable, not specifically LH & RH. Same P/N fits both sides. Anything not specifically marked on the attachment is not available as a separate Part Number.

  3. #3wildcard2182025-01-14 00:07

    Is this a B or a B2? If it is a B series (asv style undercarriage) where is the gear oil drain and fill located?

  4. #4Nige2025-01-14 09:42

    My bad. Got the models mixed up in my muddled brain. Only the developments first introduced with the 257B3 and continued with D-Series machines had the final drive planetaries lubricated separately with gear oil.

  5. #5Mario26ny2026-01-11 15:43

    I have a 2003 257 with the asv undercarriage, I just purchased the machine and was wondering myself on how to check the final drive oil.. I’m having a similar issue with it whining a bit when tracking..

  6. #6Nige2026-01-11 15:54

    Do you have an O&M Manual.? If not I would suggest you get one ASAP. To identify the appropriate one requires the machine Serial Number.

  7. #7Mario26ny2026-01-11 16:07

    I do have one but it doesn’t say anything about it, and there’s really not a whole lot of information out there about it..

  8. #8Nige2026-01-11 16:13

    Machine Serial Number.?

  9. #9Mario26ny2026-01-11 16:18

    CAT00257JCMM00558

  10. #10Nige2026-01-11 16:37

    So if this is the drive group you have then according to the factory they are non-serviceable as regards oil changes. Apparently the only way is to strip it down and check for wear. Possibly it could be the support bearing assembly #6 whining. There is a larege sealed ball bearing inside it.

  11. #11Mario26ny2026-01-11 16:53

    That’s definitely the assembly I have.. Not sure if there’s anything wrong with either of em, just going through the whole machine because I just bought it.. started whining a bit after topping off the fluid but there’s no operational issues so far.. I’ve since flushed the fluid but haven’t put any real time on it yet.