So I recently bought a 2005 Cat 257B and I finally got time to do a bit of testing on it. It doesn’t seem to be getting pressure to the left drive in either forward or reverse. I also noticed that it’s got a major leak which looks to be coming from between the engine and the hyd pump. I’m guessing that seal is shot because it’s more of a gush than a leak. Just wondering if that’s related to my drive issue or if those are 2 separate issues. Also there was a big mouse nest down by the pump area so perhaps the solenoid for the left drive isn’t getting power??? I’m not familiar with these machines so just going to have to learn it now. When I seen the leak I realized I hadn’t even checked the fluid level so I don’t know if the fluid was already very low and the left drive might be the first one to not get oil? Just brainstorming here. Lastly to take the main pump out which is the easiest method? Take engine out back or pump out front? Thanks in advance for the help!
I think if you have a major leak where you describe it's probably going to be something more than a seal, but let's stay optimistic for a while at least......... If mice have been at your wiring post a Serial Number. The first thing you are going to need to sort out the electrical spaghetti is the schematic, and the SLK-prefix machines had a number of S/N breaks in the course of production. An Operation & Maintenance Manual would likely be your next step. I'm assuming you don't have one.
Unfortunately I don’t have any manuals for it no. The serial # is CAT0257BVSLK02812 Looking at the wiring it doesn’t seem to be damaged anywhere from what I can tell so that may not be an issue.
Verify the leak first. Maybe just a bad pilot hose. Hopefully you don't have to change a drive hose
For an O&M Manual, go to - https://catpublications.com/ Click on "Continue as Guest" Type SEBU7732 into the Box and click Search. You should see the illustration below ........... CD & paper will attract S&H on top of the indicated price.