I am beginning to have a problem with my 2004 Cat 257B MTL. It has happened twice in the last two days. When I load the bucket and return the control lever back to the neutral position, the bucket begins to dump the material. At the same time, I can hear a squealing noise. I can raise the bucket up but it will drop as soon as I move control to neutral. After playing with the control a bit, it will start to work again. Anyone have any idea where I would start to look for the problem?
Does it have ride control or auto leveling?
No it does not.
If it's dropping, then you shut it off does it continue to drop? If so l would hard at cylinder packing. Does raising the lap bar with the engine running stop it from dropping?
Has not happened again since first post. Don't think it would be packing's. It drops too fast. It does have a slow drop when shut down. So packing's may be in the future.
Control linkage problems
No, controls seem to work fine. Starting to wonder if It just had a solenoid stick.
hi,do you mean that the bucket tilts forward and dumps the load or that the load frame drops down if you had a squealing noise while the load drops it could indicate a circuit relief valve has opened a leaking lift cylinder seal would not cause the load frame to drop, possible causes of the load frame dropping are circuit relief valve emergency lower control valve partly open incorrectly adjusted or faulty pilot control valve (with engine running) Damaged or sticking valve spool Mark A serial number always helps
Ye,s its just the bucket. Can't get Serial number right now. Will post back.