Ok I am looking for experience with this machine. I am seriously looking at this particular machine. Not to work in the snow biz, but in landscaping. I want to get your professional advice as to the workings of this machine, good and bad. As far as how its to be used in my business, landscaping. Some grading, harley rake for prepping, the usual moving of bulk material - dirt-mulch etc..., and possible other attachments for other types of work too. Is this machine worth the investment? Is a track machine that much better than a tire version? Many thanks for your ideas. I am using different rental Bobcat versions several times a month, but next year that will change.
I would suggest taking a look at the Lawnsite forum on heavy equipment. The exact machine and its competitors has been discussed quite a bit there as well. The 257B is a great machine. It's powerful and fast and its controls are VERY smooth. There really isn't a good comparison of this machine to the other tracked machines out there -- in a word, it's simply more refined. Its suspension system really does help ease out some of the bumps and the pilot controls are, to say the least, amazing. I thought it was a little noisy but didn't seem too bad.
Re: Re: Cat 257B Track SKid Steer That is what I was trying to answer. Those were my thoughts as well, but I thought I would throw it out here to see what you pro's had to say. Thanks!
I spent several months this summer evaluating track machines. I demoed ASV, Bobcat, and CAT machines. I used each one for at least a full day on as difficult a job as I could find for my evaluation. Overall I liked the CAT the best except for the lift and breakout power. It was lacking in hydraulic power for some of the things I need to do. But, if max hydraulic power isn't a requirement, then it is a sweet machine. I loved the controls and the general feel of the machine. Something I found odd was that even though the ASV and CAT share common engines, track systems, and controls; I felt much better in the CAT; especially in the larger machines where the large ASV felt cumbersome. I felt I could get more work done per hour in a smaller ASV than a larger one and I did not get that feeling in either the Bobcat or the CAT. For now I have purchased the new Loegering ATS suspended track system to use on my Bobcat S250. It shipped from the factory this week and should arrive Dec. 23rd. I, however, will keep my eye on future CAT machines to see if they "catch up" in lift and breakout force. If they ever do, I would seriously take another look. One final note. I noticed that when doing fine grading with the CAT machine, the suspended track system sometimes gets in the way. I questioned Loegering about this with their system and their answer was to include "up stop blocks" which easily install to prevent movement when fine grading.
257B feedback I have owned a 257B for several months now. I generally like the machine for handling, power and operation. I really wanted a rubber tired version with Loegering track carriages, but the better deal was with the 257B. This maching is super stable in adverse positions unlike a r/t or tractor. I bought the track version for low ground pressure and traction advatage in wet areas, but finding it is not what I thought it would be.
CAT 248 vs 257B I am looking at trading my 2001 248 for a 2006 257B. The HP is greater on the 248 (80hp) than the 257B (62 hp). Will I be able to tell a great deal of hp difference when operating the track machine with less hp? I would like a track machine for stability, but don't want to give up power. I think the 277 has the same hp, but seems to be much bigger and heavier than the 248. Does anyone have similar machines with any thoughts? Thanks.
I would certainly spend enough time with the 257 before you pull the trigger. I think they are a dog. Overweight, underpowered, and terrible digging specs. If you are used to 80hp with your 248 and much healthier breakout forces then stepping back into a machine with a third less hp may be difficult. If your not using the 248 to its capacity maybe you will be fine, but I would certainly demo a 257 for a while before making a decision. Maybe putting a VTS on your exisitng machine would be a better idea. It certainly would be from a cost and track like perspective. The MTL's don't hold value very well.