So I got called to go look at this machine because it dumped all its hydraulic fluid. Got there, ran the leak down to one of the main hoses to the left side drive motor. I've never donw one of these before but I thought "alright this shouldnt be too bad" and then the fun started. Track adjustment wasnt frozen up since I had just put new tracks on it for the guy a month and a half ago. Got that apart and couldnt quite get to the hose fittings though. I figured alright I'll just take the whole darn drive motor and its bracket off so I can get behind it. Like I said all the adjust ment stuff was freed up but the pivot end was frozen solid. So after much application of heat and a 3/4 impact This is what I have. the hex end has come out about 3/8's of an inch. The threaded end doesnt turn at all. cant tell how far in the break is and I cant get either end to come out any more. So heres a big cry for help. Does anybody have any ideas how t go about getting this apart with destroying the motor support. :Banghead:Banghead:Banghead
You've probably already tried some of this, just thinking out loud as it were: Can you still turn the bolt head with the air wrench? Plenty of penetrating oil (Kroil?) and put a pickle fork behind the bolt head and keep driving it down with a hammer as you turn it is worth a try. I'm thinking if you can get the head end out, the other end may drive out since you'll be able to use a good drift pin and the BFH, I use a 20 pounder these days, getting old. She's gotta come out now, eh? Drilling may be an option, or if the panic button gets hit, find somebody with a piercing torch setup, blow through the center of it. If that nut will thread on and off, put some big washers on, tighten the nut see if that end will move at all, maybe put a good drift on the washers and bang on it... or try the pickle fork, I've owned several and never have used them for ball joints or tie rod ends, LOL. If you happen to get the threaded end out, you maybe could GENTLY apply some pressure with a drift pin and a hydraulic jack or porta-power to push the head end on out as you keep trying to turn it. I say gently because you may damage whatever you're pushing off of if you're not careful, always use a thick backer plate, don't ask me how I know.... Another idea, depending on how much sideways gap there is in the hinge joint there, clamp it one way or the other to get maximum side gap, use some thin cutoff wheels in a hand grinder (45 thou or 1/16th inch?), cut the bolt on both sides of the track frame in the center then you could at least get the motor bracket off where you could work on it, then maybe cut the ends off the bolt pieces and drive them in toward the center at that point? Hell even if you skim some metal off the bracket you could always use a thin washer to take up the slack or a bit of weld and buff it flat until it fits proper again? Used to work for loggers, gave me bad habits....
Dont really know anybody with a piercing torch (gonna have to look into one of those. Cant really get any hydraulics back behind it to push not much clearance in there at all. I've been meaning to get one of those really low profile ones maybe nows a good time eh. I doubt drilling will work after all the heat I dumped into that thing today that bolts probably pretty tough now. never thought of the pickle fork option...guess thats on the menu for tomorrows attempt. As well as the washers on threaded end to see if it will loosen up. after that I guess we are in the land of the cutoff wheel or sawsall to get that apart. thanks for the input.
I'm thinking that bolt will laugh at a sawzall, but you never know. It's not really marked is it? Good luck with it!
2x .....
Yair . . . pajibson . I can't quite pick the scale here. Would it be possible to make up a slide hammer running on (say) some 3/4'' or 1'' shafting welded to the bolt head? A bit of three inch lathe stock bored to fit and furnished with decent handles (plus a couple of young well coordinated fellers to wield it) might give that piece an awful shock. If you could arrange to weld last thing in the evening, really pour the heat on and let it cool down overnight would all help. Cheers.
Hey Scrub, I really heated the bejeezus out of it yesterday. Don't really have the time or materials (metal or well coordinated young fellers) for your slide hammer idea. I do have a plain old 10 pound slide hammer. I was thinking of trying to weld a nut or two on and try to slide hammer it. As far as the work crew goes Its just myself and the better half. I do have a buddy that's available and probably going to come out and help today too. I appreciate everybody's input keep the ideas a coming. I'll be checking back periodically. I have one other job to do first and then back to the other side of a different county to that one. This is the missus digging out the broken hose on the inside
Hydraulics are your best friend...A porta power will push/push it effortlessly....you can rent one cheap enough and it will save you allot of hassle and busted knuckles.
Ok we got it out. ended up taking Lantraxco's advise and cutting the bolt between the ears. drove it out in three pieces. I'll try and get some pics up later. bolt was seriously deformed.Looks like the last person that was in there over torqued the heck out of it. Thanks again everybody for all the helpful ideas.
Well done! :drinkup :drinkup