Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 259b3 Fuel Won’t Shut Off

Inland1 · 2018-09-24 20:12

Machine keeps running at very low rpms after key is shut off. I figure it is the shut off solenoid failing but, could use any helpful info on changing or any other possibie problem. Thanks.

Replies33
  1. #1OLDDODGETRUCKS2019-12-24 15:25

    To the top, My 259B3 YZ00721 has the exact same problem, any pointers for diagnosis? Machine runs fine but as soon as you turn off the key the rpms drop but it wont shut off. If you then go full throttle it will die.

  2. #2heymccall2019-12-24 17:37

    #4 is the stop solenoid. Same Delphi pump as my 420E backhoes. There is a defect in the pump. I'm certain that there WAS a service letter on them. One 420E works normal here, and the other does as you've described. AFAIK, if changing the stop solenoid doesn't resolve the issue, the pump will need replaced. I've since put on over 5k hours on mine since the "diesel on" started, and it hasn't gotten worse. Still pissed at Cat dealer for not finding the service letter when I brought the problem to their attention.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2019-12-24 18:11

    That pic is a Bosch/Zexel VE pump.. not a Delphi.. & there is no SB about the solenoid on either that I'm aware of..

  4. #4heymccall2019-12-24 22:18

    Sorry, TPG...got my pumps mixed up. The 420E was an SM, not an SL. Here HeavyEquipmentForums

  5. #5thepumpguysc2019-12-25 09:41

    Those "Latch Valves" are a real weak spot in the design.. Its because of emissions that was introduced.. It "reduces the amount of smoke" at start-up..

  6. #6heymccall2019-12-25 10:44

    Does the pump in the original post above possibly have the same malady?

  7. #7thepumpguysc2019-12-25 10:50

    without doing alot of searching.. the OP will have to tell me what pump he has.. Pics are always nice.. It goes along the lines of walking up to a parts counter & saying, I have a Ford Mustang & I need a part for the engine..

  8. #8heymccall2019-12-25 14:00

    336-9190 ($1800 from Caterpillar)

  9. #9OLDDODGETRUCKS2019-12-27 22:14

    my pump is a zexel/Bosch 010 Y265218 Pump number 104642-3050 Not sure how to post pics There are 2 solenoids on my pump -The solenoid on the top of my pump 352-3694 is a “cold start advance”. -Deductive reasoning tells me The solenoid on the rear of my pump 335-5735 is the “shutoff solenoid” I get +12v to the rear solenoid with key on and 0v with key off. Bad solenoid?

  10. #10OLDDODGETRUCKS2019-12-27 22:16

    See attached pics of my pump

  11. #11thepumpguysc2019-12-28 05:54

    Yes, the sol. on the rear is the shut off sol. I think the CS Sol. is on a timer..??

  12. #12OLDDODGETRUCKS2019-12-28 10:29

    Yes the shut off solenoid is bad? Can i remove the shut off solenoid on the machine without removing the pump?

  13. #13thepumpguysc2019-12-28 11:40

    What..?? U get 12v w/ the key on.. & 0v w/ it off is exactly how its supposed to work.. 12v= run.. 0v= stop. Yes u can remove it on the engine. {open end wrench} U have to pull the boot back & remove the 8mm nut to get the wire out of the way..

  14. #14OLDDODGETRUCKS2019-12-28 20:35

    Removed the shut off solenoid and inspected, did not appear to be damaged or sticking in any way. Reinstalled it and the problem is much worse, have to bog down the aux hydraulics at full throttle to kill it now.... will try a new solenoid and report back.

  15. #15OLDDODGETRUCKS2019-12-31 18:44

    Update: Replaced the shut off solenoid, no change.

  16. #16thepumpguysc2020-01-01 06:58

    ODT.. contact me at my home email & I'll tell u how to fix it.. Just click on my screen name to the left & that'll get u to my contact info..

  17. #17OLDDODGETRUCKS2020-01-21 23:28

    UPDATE: Removed injection pump and had it rebuilt, Pump shop couldn't find anything visually wrong during disassembly but it would not shut off on the test stand. They Replaced the "Head" in the injection pump and now it works fine.

  18. #18thepumpguysc2020-01-22 10:16

    Yes.. thats the fix if u dont know what yer doing.. They would have been able to adjust it on the test stand if they tried.. & THATS WHY the new H&R worked, they adjusted it on the T. Stand.. Hell, u could of done it but u never contacted me.. Live & Learn I guess.. Glad yer up & running..

  19. #19OLDDODGETRUCKS2020-01-29 00:16

    You caught me red handed i dont know what im doing when it comes to the internal function of these injection pumps. I did not see your post prior to having the pump rebuilt. lived and learned... ROUND 2!!! i just bought another 259 site unseen today and after unloading it from the trailer same thing it wont shut off even with the power wire removed from the shut off solenoid on the pump. So "thepumpguysc" please school us all on how to adjust the H&R ourselves if it is really possible?

  20. #20thepumpguysc2020-01-29 06:47

    I wrote the procedure on your prvt msg.. 1 piece of advice.. QUIT BUYING **** .....hahahahaha Just messin w/ ya.. Happy to help..

  21. #21Cat.man2020-03-19 18:37

    "thepumpguysc "thepumpguysc" I have this same problem can you please send me the procedure to adjust, thank you.

  22. #22Cat.man2020-03-19 19:33

    I have the same problem with a 259b3 can someone please help me with the procedure to adjust?

  23. #23Dan Barrett2022-10-14 16:39

    Good day! I have a Cat 279C that won’t shut off when key is off. I saw that you had a way to adjust this? Would it be possible to get this adjustment procedure before tearing into the pump. Thank you.

  24. #24Nige2022-10-14 18:51

    Before jumping in and adjusting the FIP which cured the OP’s problem have you at least done any troubleshooting on the shutoff solenoid.? Also give a S/No and post some photos of your injection pump so that everyone knows what they are dealing with.

  25. #25Dan Barrett2022-12-08 16:25

    I have tested and removed both solenoids. The shut off solenoid works. Resistance is 9 ohms. Seems low to me and i can’t find a spec. Mbt01966 any other opinions?

  26. #26thepumpguysc2022-12-08 16:31

    If u REALLY NEED the machine without having to buy a pump.?? Adjust the low idle screw down until it shuts off.. It’s gonna be a real bi!ch to drive tho.. unless u have a way to keep it from shutting off when u take your foot off the go pedal.. Sorry I couldn’t solve this for ya..

  27. #27Nige2022-12-08 16:37

    This is an electronically-controlled common rail engine. No idle screw unfortunately. EDIT: Sorry it's an FIP as per illustration below. Shutoff solenoid is 17A. My bad. As you were..........

  28. #28Nige2022-12-08 16:44

    Is there a Part Number marked on the solenoid.? 335-5735 maybe.? I came across an article as follows - "There have been several instances of issues with the 335-5735 Solenoid on certain C3.4 engines. The issue is external water ingress into the electrical components of the solenoid. If the engine fails to start, replace the 335-5735 Solenoid with 435-1704 Solenoid." Reading between the lines it seems entirely possible to me that the solenoid valve could seize in the open position (no stop) just as easily as it could seize in the closed position (no start). There is no specification that I can see for the coil resistance of the shutoff solenoid.

  29. #29Dan Barrett2022-12-08 16:47

    This is not a common rail unit.

  30. #30thepumpguysc2022-12-08 17:32

    That’s what I was gonna say.. Nige figured it out tho..

  31. #31Dan Barrett2022-12-08 17:44

    Everyone! Thank you all for the assistance. The thing is that the solenoid is $750 cdn and the boss is, as always, cheap. Adjusting the low idle screw so the rpm went down to about 600rpm made it so when the key is off the unit also shuts down. Before the unit would run about 1100rpm at idle. Once again thank you.

  32. #32thepumpguysc2022-12-08 17:49

    Your welcome.. Btw. I think u were looking up the wrong solenoid.?? It’s 17A for the shut off solenoid.. Anyway, glad it’s gonna work for you..

  33. #33Nige2022-12-08 20:00

    Somehow I had it in my head we were talking about a D-Series. That's one of the problems when a poster piggy-backs on to an existing thread and has a different model machine - and yes I know the original thread was about a B-Series..... BTW #17B is the cold start advance solenoid.