Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 259d 132-15 code

jm247n7 · 2019-05-08 08:35

So let me start off by saying the machine is a 2015 750hrs on it. Starts and runs fine, will run at idle with no code, but when using it at full power after about 5 min it throws 132-15, code states Engine inlet air mass flow rate high. This machine doesn't show a mass air flow sensor in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Replies30
  1. #1The Peej2019-05-08 08:47

    Have you checked the air filters yet?

  2. #2jm247n72019-05-08 09:40

    Yes all good

  3. #3Nige2019-05-08 10:47

    Serial Number..?

  4. #4jm247n72019-05-08 11:02

    Ftl03933

  5. #5Nige2019-05-08 11:14

    Would an explanation of low boost pressure make more sense ..? "Mass Air Flow" = boost pressure See attached. TBH the first thing I would try is to run the machine for a while with the primary air filter element removed to see if the Code appeared again. If it did not - replace the air filter. YMMV.

  6. #6kshansen2019-05-08 19:43

    Not sure of the conditions this machine works in but where I worked the 980K threw a code of EID 583 High Inlet #1 Differential Pressure. My first indication was plugged air filter. Slipped in new primary and secondary filters and put it back to work and in less than a day same code again! Pulled primary filter and looked almost like new. Something not right! After doing some searching online saw a reference to plugged precleaner. Decided to check the precleaner at first while still installed it looked fairly clean. But sure enough once removed so I could see inside it was almost completely plugged. Of all the machines at the quarry this was the first time I had seen one plug the precleaner. But this loader was used to feed the blacktop plant and load dry stone in customers trucks. Apparently it had to eat way more dust and maybe a damp morning or two was enough to get a good coating on the tubes in the precleaner. Lots of warm soapy water and blowing dry with air and it was back to work.

  7. #7Natemiller5162023-09-12 00:15

    Hello, has there been an update with this issue? I have a machine doing the same exact thing. All new fluid filters and air filters. Changed mass air flow sensor thinking that could be it. Machine was just in at cat for 3k in repairs for dpf and emissions BS. They replaced the engine wiring harness and the throttle valve body? Ive had issues ever since they touched it. 2015 caterpillar 259d track loader. When running with a load moving dirt, brush hogging. Etc etc. At full throttle after 9-10 minutes the machine kicks down to 1900 rpm. Throws code 132-15 engine inlet air mass flow rate high. I can Shut down machine wait 5 seconds and restart and code is gone. While running the machine it just feels gutless you go to dig into a pile of gravel or dirt and the machine bogs way down. Almost like theres no boost. I feel like i used to be able to hear the turbo spool under load. But i don't hear it at all anymore. Any help would be amazing.

  8. #8Natemiller5162023-09-12 00:28

    Serial number is FTL04579

  9. #9heymccall2023-09-12 00:38

    Seemed relevant, although probably not the issue.

  10. #10Nige2023-09-12 05:21

    Have you pulled the intake lines apart and taken a look at the turbo yet.? The boost is controlled via Hose #21A and a wastegate. Is the wastegate maybe stuck open.?

  11. #11Natemiller5162023-09-12 09:22

    I will check the mass air flow angle. Piping was pulled apart when mass air flow sensor was changed and i dont know if its at the right angle or not. Probably close. I also cleaned the EGR valve while i was in there. The valve was kind of sticky I did check the turbo for play seemed fine but i did NOT check the waste gate. And the more i think about it it could be the waste gate is stuck open. Since the machine is very doggish. I will go and check it later today and see if the arm moves. I am assuming ill have to take the turbo off to really check the waste gate and see if the spring is broken or something silly. Im pretty hard on this little guy and ask it to do alot so i wouldnt be surprised.

  12. #12Nige2023-09-12 09:51

    With the limited space around that engine you may well have to remove the turbo in order to inspect the wastegate. An unfortunate fact of life with machines of that size class.

  13. #13Natemiller5162023-09-12 20:30

    Ok so i was able to look into this a bit more. The mass air flow was pretty close to the diagram above. So im not thinking that was it. I pulled the turbo waste gate arm off the back of the turbo. The spring had plenty of tension and moved back and forth. The gate seemed to move nice and didnt seem to have an issue. Now thats not saying there isnt something inside wrong. But im not gonna pull a turbo quite yet. Now after inspecting and looking around i found a tube off the bottom side of the intake right before the turbo. (Circled in pictures.) now im not saying this was the smoking gun because i remember taking it off when going through the turbo piping and intake. I would imagine it fell off or i forgot to put it back on. Im not sure. Maybe the mass air flow sensor was bad then the hose popped off and was letting unmetered air into the engine continuing the same code. Ive ran the machine about 25 minutes as hard as i can in a empty gravel lot it seems to have power now and dosent stall out near as easy when shoving the bucked into the ground. But until i put in on a job site and start working it i wont know if the issue's subsided.

  14. #14GRMUSTARD2024-08-06 14:27

    Natemiller. Did this end up being the root of your problem?

  15. #15Nige2024-08-06 15:15

    He's not been seen since the end of October last year. All you might hear is crickets....... If you want to post a Serial Number, any Codes, symptoms, and what troubleshooting you've done so far, someone should offer assistance.

  16. #16GRMUSTARD2024-08-07 11:11

    Thanks Nigel. I just picked up a 2019 259d. Serial number is cat0259DTFTL22459. After warm up it runs full throttle for about 11 minutes and then derates to 1900 RPMs. I can shut it off and restart it and it will do the same thing again. I cleared what codes were present and the only one that came back was 132-15. It just recently had a new fuel pump, injection pump, fuel rail, and all new injectors installed before I bought it. When they did that they had the DPF filter cleaned by cat as well. I haven't had time to do much but I did start simple by pulling the air filters. They both looked good but I blew them out anyway. I cleaned and adjusted the MAF sensor to 50° from horizontal and checked the turbo. Did not check the waste gate. Also checked all hose clamps on the intake and made sure all hoses were attached. Thanks for any help!

  17. #17Nige2024-08-07 11:30

    It's the same troubleshooting procedure for your machine as per the attachment in Post #6 above. Scroll down to Page 9 of the document. It appears to potentially relate to the boost pressure sensor. If you replace the phrase "air mass flow" with "boost pressure" it might make more sense.

  18. #18GRMUSTARD2024-08-07 11:55

    I missed that in the doc. I'll take a look at the machine later today and see if I can find anything. Thanks again!

  19. #19Nige2024-08-07 12:00

    Probably best go go back and read right through the attachment. It does jump back & forth somewhat.

  20. #20GRMUSTARD2024-08-07 12:07

    I was actually just doing that. I'm pretty ignorant on some of this. What is the meaning / difference between a -3 -4 or a -15 code?

  21. #21GRMUSTARD2024-08-07 12:13
  22. #22GRMUSTARD2024-08-07 12:52

    Nevermind about the -3 -4 -15 question. I got ahead of myself with questions that the document answered.

  23. #23GRMUSTARD2024-08-07 15:33
  24. #24GRMUSTARD2024-08-07 15:35

    I pulled the big hose off from the turbo to the intake and low and behold clamps were not in place and the lower end of the little hose was disconnected. Would that cause my code?

  25. #25Nige2024-08-07 15:37

    It could quite well do. Try reinstalling it with all the clamps correctly tightened and see what happens would be my suggestion.

  26. #26GRMUSTARD2024-08-07 16:33

    I put it back together and have had it running for about 40 minutes and it has not derated or thrown a code yet. I'll be running it more in the next few days and if all is good I will post that. Thank you so much for the help!

  27. #27Natemiller5162024-08-09 18:25

    @GRMUSTARD no my issue has not been resolved yet we are starting to mess with it again. I gave up for several months. I will post when i have an update on mine.

  28. #28GRMUSTARD2024-08-11 10:03

    Natemiller516 sorry to hear that and I hope you are able to figure it out soon. RyanCrafx, why do you say it doesn't have a mass airflow sensor? What is the sensor between the air filter and the turbo?

  29. #29GRMUSTARD2024-08-11 10:07

    Update: My problem was indeed the small hose that had come off the intake that goes to what I believe is the boost sensor. (I didn't research it more to properly identify) after properly reinstalling it machine has ran about 10 hours with no issues.

  30. #30Nige2024-08-11 10:15

    In the service documentation the expressions "mass air flow sensor" and "boost pressure sensor" appear to be used interchangeably. It's actually listed in the Parts Manual as a boost pressure sensor and the electrical schematic also states that. Most MAF sensors have two sensing wires, one heated, one not. The sensor in your machine is not this type.