Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 259D 2017

Willis Hodgkinson · 2023-04-30 14:40

Hi there, I have been asked by a friend of mine if I could help regarding a CAT 259D compact track loader which will not start, I thought someone on this forum may be kind enough to help. The problem is the starter motor will not turn after the code is keyed into key pad, he says all the dash lights are illuminated but the starter motor fails to turn, the loader was used about one week ago. any help would be much appreciated. I will try to get the machine serial number if that would help. Thanks, Willis Hodgkinson

Replies24
  1. #1Nige2023-04-30 15:42

    Start with a Serial Number would be good. You'll need that for an electrical schematic. Has the machine got some kind of aftermarket security system on it.? A photo or two of the panel when it is powered up would probably also help. What part of Sheffield are you from, just out of interest.?

  2. #2Willis Hodgkinson2023-05-01 14:24

    Hi Nige, thank you for your reply, here is the serial number CAT 0259D JFTL11692, my friend says a schematic electrical drawing would be helpful, the immobiliser was on the machine from new, but whether its CAT's own or after market he doesn't know. I know he has had a Case technician to look at it. I am from Stocksbridge which is approx 10 miles North of Sheffield city centre

  3. #3Nige2023-05-01 14:46

    Schematic on the way. Check your messages.

  4. #4Willis Hodgkinson2023-05-01 14:56

    Thanks Nige very much appreciated, take care, Willis

  5. #5Nige2023-05-01 15:01

    Can you post up some photos of the "immobilizer" so we can see what it is. It may be Cat's (optional) anti-theft system. Also a bit of a description about what part it plays in cranking the machine up would also possibly be a help.

  6. #6Willis Hodgkinson2023-05-01 16:17

    Nige, I will try him tomorrow regarding photos of key pad anti theft system, I can only get his Dad this evening, and that is an education in its self! he's quite a character! Thanks again

  7. #7Willis Hodgkinson2023-05-02 15:34

    Nige,Here are the photos of the panel, looks like some errors are logged which he did'nt tell me about,

  8. #8Willis Hodgkinson2023-05-02 15:36

    The code to start the engine is punched in on the buttons below the screen, it will be CAT's own security system

  9. #9Nige2023-05-02 15:36

    E459. We’ve been here before. That’s why it won’t start. I’ll take a look at the others as well and send you something later. Just on the way out of the door.

  10. #10Willis Hodgkinson2023-05-02 15:49

    Nige, thank you

  11. #11Nige2023-05-11 11:21

    Any update.? How did you get on with the diagnostics.?

  12. #12Willis Hodgkinson2023-05-11 16:05

    Hi Nige, I talked with my mates Dad a couple of days ago, learned a bit more,they have cleaned up the earths and engine has started, but now loader arms will not lift, which he says was the original problem???? i will get to find out more this weekend, thanks for your interest.

  13. #13Nige2023-05-11 16:15

    Find out if it is both lift AND tilt that are not working, or just the lift function.? Will it drive in both directions.?

  14. #14Willis Hodgkinson2023-05-15 15:53

    Nige, talked to my mates Dad, he says the machine will travel in both directions it's the arms which don't work, lift or tilt, he said they are awaiting a man coming to check it out with the computer. I will let you know of any more developments, thanks

  15. #15Nige2023-05-15 16:28

    If they haven't got Finning out to it (at some scandalous hourly rate plus mileage) yet, tell them to FFS hold up............. If someone has a multimeter then check the operation of the implement safety lockout switch on the cab door. The door lockout switch and the manual lockout switch on the panel are the devices designed to prevent operation of the implements. This is the reason why I asked was it only the lift that is not working, or both lift & tilt.? Check the operation of the door switch, it's right there on the door = #10. The illustration below shows how it is wired. It is a reed (magnetic) switch that operates using the proximity of the cab and the door to change status. There should be continuity between Pins A and B with the door closed, and between A & C with it open. The harness connector shown in the illustration below should be somewhere right next to the switch. If you have the door open and wave a fair size chunk of steel close to the switch it should change state from N/C to N/O and back again.

  16. #16Willis Hodgkinson2023-05-17 16:56

    Nige, thanks for that information, I have talked to my friends Dad, the engineer (not Finning) was supposed to turn up today but has'nt, so his Dad is going to check out the door switch and the other recommendations you have suggested. Many thanks

  17. #17Nige2023-05-17 17:28

    Tell him to go behind the seat first and try disconnecting CONN 17 then connect the bypass connector to the machine harness. That simulates the door being closed. If that fixes it, look at the door switch. DO NOT run the machine with the bypass connector installed apart from testing or if the machine is being operated with the door removed for whatever reason. It is a safety system and should not be disabled long-term.

  18. #18Willis Hodgkinson2023-05-18 03:13

    Thanks Nige, I told his Dad to phone me when he starts looking for the bypass connector, he was only saying last night about the importance of the door switch working correctly, as the had previously bought a skid steer, from them viewing it in the dealers yard to it arriving at theirs, the door had got bent by the transport driver who loaded it due to the switch being inoperative. Thanks again I will post again when I know more.

  19. #19Willis Hodgkinson2023-05-26 16:22

    Nige, an update on the 259D loader not working, sorry its been a while I have been on holiday, My pal did try the jumper connector but no joy, the repair guy didnt show, so he has managed to find someone else, reason being he has work for the machine so he needs to get it repaired. I will post when I know more.

  20. #20Nige2023-05-26 20:19

    Tell him I’d suggest to leave the jumper for the door switch in place for now and tell the fella he has coming what he’s done, simply to make diagnostics a bit easier. Once they get the problem sorted then the jumper can be removed and the door switch wiring connected to the machine harness again.

  21. #21Willis Hodgkinson2023-05-27 14:11

    thanks Nige, will tell him.

  22. #22Willis Hodgkinson2023-07-10 15:59

    an update on the CAT 269D hydraulics not working, a bit sketchy this as I got this third hand. The CAT dealer tech came out and checked around, found a solenoid open circuit, I assume one for the hydraulic safety lock out. Nige thanks for all the info you provided.

  23. #23Nige2023-07-10 18:14

    Good to see it fixed but a bit baffled why if a solenoid was open circuit that it never generated a Diagnostic Code. Makes no sense.

  24. #24Willis Hodgkinson2023-07-11 15:56

    There may well have been a code generated, but if so that was'nt passed to me, in fairness my friends Mum has been ill, so some time has passed inbetween the tech guy coming out and my friends Dad letting me know the machine was repaired, thanks again for all the info