hello my 259d FTL01273 2600hrs is giving me code 523602-0 excessive regeneration frequency thats when it trys to do a active regeneration within 30 minutes of each other ( I have ET) what should i be watching on engine status to figure out whats triggering a regeneration? attatched is some status information
If you have ET try downloading a Product Status Report in pdf format and posting it up here. It would be interesting to see the historic Diagnostic Code information. EDIT: Sorry didn't see you already had........
Couple of things spring to mind. Air mass flow Event. Problem with flow sensor..? Coolant temperature Events allied to the fact that the Min & Max fan speeds have not been recalibrated in a while. Serivce Manual recommends performing a "DPF Regeneration Time Interval Reset". See attached. If you need a copy of REHS7788 (DPF Cleaning Procedure) please ask.
the fan belt was once broken last when it overheated, can i go by the soot loading percent to know if dpf has to be cleaned? thanks
Service Interval (clean or replace) on the DPF is every 3000 hours, so at 2600 you're not that far away. Unless you know how hard the machine has been run (apparently the harder the better as far as the DPF is concerned) then it's quite possible that it is ready for a good clean.
So my best bet is to just get it cleaned ? The differential pressure sensor don't really tell me if it's time to or not? we generally stop the skidsteer instead of letting it idle when not so it has mostly half decent hard working hrs. Can you send that cleaning procedure?
The attachment above is all there is AFAIK.
Several things can cause frequent regeneration. Low exhaust temps, exhaust leaks, intake leaks, low boost pressure, clogged egr differential pressure sensor and or port . Failing or clogged dpf differential pressure sensor. If this machine runs def you can have def crystals clogging the pipe. And last but not least clogged dpf filter. I didn't see your ash load count. If you are above 75% then it's time for a cleaning. By the way cleaning dpf filters is not something you can do yourself. It has to be sent off to be baked and blown out essentially.
i had set this machine aside for now but so you are saying the dpf being full is kind of the least possibility is there ant way of knowing if the dpf is full or if its wiring/sensor problem? can anyone tell me what perameters the engine watches to know when to trigger a regen so i have somewhere to start?
What is the ash percentage? Have you ever had the dpf filter cleaned or replaced? How many hours are on the dpf if you haven't replaced or had it cleaned?
Is soot load percentage something different that what you mean, as per picture above that's at 16. No I don't believe DPF has ever been cleaned.
I see the hours and it's getting close to replacement or cleaning,but you still have at least 1,000 hours before that needs to happen. Your nox sensors could be causing the problem also. Have you checked for any of the things I suggested in post #8? Soot load and ash load are determined with a algorithm. Engine load hours ran and fuel consumption and a handful of other sensors are used to calculate what the soot load is. Without sitting next to you and watching what is happening during regeneration it's hard to know for certain what is impacting the regeneration process. Hopefully someone will post the troubleshooting tree for frequent regeneration.
Soot load is the soot collected between regeneration and ash count is the from burning off the soot and can only be removed by cleaning or replacing the dpf filter.
Had a skid steer with that issue. Low hours but was generating enough soot load, when viewed in ET, that it would trigger a regen about every 25 minutes. All the sensors checked out. Ended up running a compression check. 2 cylinders borderline and the other 2 were low. DSN guys said pull the head. All 4 cylinders were polished, no crosshatch. Oil consumption was enough to plug off the DPF flow enough to trigger a regen every 25 minutes.
Post # 3
I know the crankcase breather is vented to the intake, but would this motor have shown a great amount of blow by out of the dipstick tube or oil fill cap?
Hey I have a 2015 279D, I need to take out and clean the DPF. Can it be taken out the panel behind the cab? Or does the motor need to come out?
First I suggest that you read the attachment. A forced Regen is required before removing the DPF for cleaning or replacement. Also note the requirement to reset the ash load using ET after DPF reinstallation. Here's the R&I procedure for a 279D. According to this the motor does not require removal, although the photos of the procedure were taken with motor removed - for photographic clarity I'm sure. You won't have anywhere near the space to work with compared to what the photos show.
So all the resets have been done by dealer and they are saying it requires cleaning. Also wanting to pull motor. I feel like I can get it from behind cab.
C3.3 is a Kubota engine. Only way to get it running stress free is deleting it. Take a look at this page https://machinery-tunes.com/caterpillar-cat-equipment-egr-def-scr-dpf-delete.html Highly recommend these guys, and as far as I know they are they only ones who can flash the C3.3 and C3.8 engines (CATbouta lol) with the CAT diagnostic adapter only.
You've probably already done it but yes it is entirely possible to replace the DPF without removing the engine. Its the only way I've ever done it. I seem to always end up in a fight with the pump for a half hour trying to get the shaft to line up with the drive coupler. Plus dealing with the hassle of draining coolant and pulling the rads. From what I remember, a straight forward DPF swap usually took me ballpark of about 10-11 hours to do going in from under the cab.