Hi to all I was searching for an answer to a couple of issues and came across this forum which helped with other problems but not this one. I recently purchased a 2015 Cat 259d with 1150 hours. It had a busted windshield which I replaced, all the parts were there. After the door install the machine runs great except the windshield washer/wiper does not function and the arms could raise with the door open which obviously is not good. Earlier today I got out the manual and located the jumper, this corrected the windshield washer issue but the wiper still did not operate and the lift arms were now locked out. I unplugged the cables put the jumper back in and it worked as before. When I removed the jumper and reconnected no arms and still no wiper, not sure if the wiper is a connected issue or separate. A fault code came up and went off before I could review it, so I repeated the process again. This time the fault code remained it is "2471 -4 Cab Door Position Switch Voltage Below Normal" I cleaned the sensors and adjusted them no change. I had read that this could be bypassed with magnetic tape so I tried, when I closed the door I got a message "Cab Door Position Switch Voltage Above Normal" When I purchased the machine the door parts were in a box and the wiper assembly was in the cab, it was an owner operator who rarely used the machine due to a change in his business practises so it had been like that for a couple of years, the machine had just been serviced and was mainly kept inside. Any Ideas Thanks
First up, please post a Serial Number. You are going to need the electrical schematic sooner rather than later by the sounds of it and it's important to get the correct one corresponding to the machine S/N. A quick look didn't throw up anything regarding 2471-4. Are you sure it wasn't 2471-3.? EDIT: Found 2471-4, just need a Serial Number to makesure it's appropriate.
Nige we got the 2471 -4 Voltage below normal and when I added a magnet strip 2471 - 3 above normal. Do you want me to PM you with the serial #
Nige we got the 2471 -4 Voltage below normal and when I added a magnet strip 2471 -3 Voltage above normal CAT0259DTFTK00829
The door switch is a two-pole device with a 3rd (common) terminal connected to machine frame ground. The ECM has two inputs for the door switch. Conn J1 Pin 54, & Conn J2 Pin 52. It has to simultaneously see ground on one terminal and open circuit on the other. Otherwise it will generate a 2471-3 or -4 Diagnostic Code. Here's the troubleshooting for the -4. I'll PM you the electrical schematic
Nige Thanks for your help tested and the switch turned out to be bad. Replaced and all good. Only thing I have to fix now is the wiper. The washer works but no wiper, fuse is good so probably something in the motor. Nick
Check the continuity in the wiper wiring first.? You might just get lucky and not have to buy a motor.
I have took the motor off and unseized it so just have to put it back together and test out. I thought it would have blown the fuse as it was seized solid, hopefully it works now
1st have to admit I am better at mechanical than electrical. I have taken the readings at the connector where I would hook up the motor I have tested all the fuses and all good using a power probe 3. Black is a good ground. When ignition is off 0.0 reading. brown no reading Ignition on 12.1v at grey & green, brown has no reading. Not sure what this means, but I am thinking that I should have got a reading on the brown?
With key ON and the wiper switch in the ON (1st) position at the connection for the wiper motor you should have 12v: - 1. Between wires 118 Grey & 200 Black. 2. Between wires 501 Green & 200 Black. The 500 Brown wire will only be briefly live while the motor is moving to the "Park" position after the wiper switch has been moved to the OFF position. When you move the wiper switch to the second position does the washer pump work.?
1. 12v 2.12v I will recheck the brown wire but that makes sense because I thought I had a reading at 1 point Yes the washer pump is working I also tried to put power to the motor unit and could not get a response from it Thanks Nick
To test the motor I tried in the machine and also on the bench. I attached the ground connection to the black and tested the ground and it was good. I then applied 12v to each of the pins and got nothing. I then attached ground to the motor body and tried again still nothing. The motor and wiper arm connectors are spinning freely by hand. The only thing that I did notice there was a thin steel (I think) spring type wire at the top of the armature that did not appear to connect to anywhere, I have never noticed this before on other motors. Thanks Nick
Forgot to mention, I also tested continuity of each wire from the connector to the motor.
To test the motor you need to apply 12v to both pins 3 & 4of the connector, and ground Pin 1.
I attached the ground of the power probe to the ground and power to 3 & 4, the motor did nothing no noise no movement. I am thinking that the motor is burnt out?
It sounds like the motor is toast.
Thanks Nige, I will get a new motor
What does 2471-3 mean?
It's a Diagnostic Code related to a fault with the implement lockout switch (and its wiring) that is operated by the door when it closes.
Thanks. I'm having trouble getting the machine to go in rabbit. I've ohmed the switch wires and the switch seems good. Is the switch a momentary switch that flashes the computer to tell the machine to run in turtle or rabbit? I also have the yellow triangle yellow light flashing. Does that have something to do with the TPS?
If you have a 2471-3 Code the implements (bucket lift/tilt) should not work. Is that what is happening.? are you accessing the Codes via the panel in the upper RH corner of the cab.? If so have you checked everything that may be Active on the lists.?
The switch has nothing to do with turtle/rabbit controls AFAIK. It controls the lockouts for the implements. See illustration below which is with the door OPEN. The twowires on the left are connected to the ECM. When the door is either closed or open one contact of the switch should be connected to ground and the other should be open circuit. Generally the code is created if BOTH switch contacts are showing ground or if both are showing Open at the same time.
I'm sorry. I meant I ohmed the 2 speed switch on the left joystick . It's only show continuity when the switch is held in
OK, let's take a step back. You have Code 2471-3, correct.? Any other Active Codes.? How are you accessing the Codes.?
That's my codes. Getting codes off of right side panel
OK, I'm starting to follow you. There are 4 modes for accessing Codes/Events in that RH panel - Active Codes, Active Events, Logged Codes, & Logged Events. Which Mode(s) are you going into to produce your list above.? It must be more than one because there is an Event (E361-1) mixed up with Diagnostic Codes and they appear in different menus. The modes are as follows: - Service Mode 1 displays the Active Diagnostic Codes (this mode is entered automatically when you get into the service menu). Service Mode 2 displays the Logged Diagnostic Codes. Service Mode 3 displays the Active Events. Service Mode 4 displays the Logged Event So as you can see you should be interested in Modes 1 & 3, because the other modes are not Active.
I'll take another look and let you know. When I open the Diagnostic screen, service mode 1 comes up first right?
Correct. it opens by defaul when you enter Service Mode. See the attachment. It may help to make things clearer.
Mode 1 - 91-4 Mode 2 - 444-5 Mode 3 - nothing Mode 4 - E391- 1
OK, so you can forget Modes 2 & 4 for the because everything they contain is historic (Logged). So from what you listed above only 91-4 is Active. What happened to the 2471-3, 91-4 & 91-8 from your first list.? Even if they were not Active they should have been displayed in Mode 2. I hope you scrolled all the way through the displayed list for each Mode until it eventually came back to the first Code/Event on the list.? I don't think that Monitor scrolls automatically but I might be wrong. 91-4 is related to the TPS. See the attachment. You are most likely going to need the electrical schematic to help you with the troubleshooting. Post a Serial Number to identify the correct one.
Gotcha. Check your messages.
Mode 2- 444-5 - 91-3 - 91-4 - 91-8 - 2471-3
Ah-ha......!! And there we have it. No big deal but it's worthwhile even if only to gain experience navigating through the menus. At least they are all Logged. Interesting to note that 91-4 has obviously been present before, then disappeared for a while (that's why it is also listed in Mode 2), and now it's back Active again. Time to break out the troubleshooting procedure from a couple of posts above in that case.
Thanks Nige for the info. I'll do some trouble shooting now with the info you provided.
I have this same problem
I have code 2471-3 ?! What would the problem be
First up. Need a machine Serial Number. Again back to the questions from earlier......... Do you have any other Active Codes.? How are you accessing the Codes.? An Active 2471-3 Code on its own indicates a problem with the contacts of the implement lockout switch. This switch signals to the Machine ECM when the cab door is open or closed. It's not a simple switch though, it has a ground connection plus two outputs to the ECM. The mode of operation is that the ECM must see a ground connection on one output wire and open circuit on the other, or vice versa. If the ECM sees both switch contacts are open circuit it creates a 2471-3 Code. This may not be a switch problem but could just as easily be a wiring problem.
Serial number : CW919766 My code is from the Top RH screen and no I dont have any other codes
Be advised my machine is an open cab i dont have a front door
Thanks for that. You need to carry out the attached troubleshooting procedure.