Took my CAT 259D into the local CAT repair center to have 2000 hour service done, and fix a couple odds and ends. They reported to me that I have a very pronounced engine ticking noise, that is a concern. They told me that it is more cost effective to replace the engine, than try to troubleshoot and repair. But the cost of replacing the engine is in the low to mid 20k range. I bought the unit used a year ago, and used it all summer doing mostly dirt work on some land I have in the mountains - nothing industrial. As far as I could tell, it always ran great, and now I cannot imagine getting by without one. They cut the oil filter and found no metal shards, but he told me that it's running on borrowed time. Is there anything I can do to prolong whatever life is left in the engine? Do I just run it as normal, until it gives out? Any idea how much longer an engine will last once that ticking starts? Looking for suggestions and advice.
First off, I’d have reserves about letting anyone work on my machine that came back with that solution with no evidence supporting it. Secondly, I’d want to see oil sample data. If there’s so major going on in that engine, won’t be able to hide it from a sample analysis. Also, I would think it’s at least worth doing an overhead adjustment/check. You’re here so I have to assume you’re not ready to pronounce it dead. Post a serial number and we can post any info desired.
Thank you! Serial Number is FTL05209. One other note, they did a inlet/exhaust valve adjustment, and apparently it helped a little, but the tick is still there.
Did they do an oil sample when they serviced it?
All they told me was that they cut open the filter to examine the oil, and it showed no signs of metal.
Ok, that says there isn’t catastrophic failure at this time. Oil sample will show any signs of microscopic metal particles or fuel dilution that may be present. You should be able to buy the sample bottle from your cat dealer and they will send it off for analysis. Worth its weight in my opinion on engines and hydraulic systems for sure.
I think someone is trying to get into your pocket. They hear a tick so rather than determine the issue, their solution is to just replace the engine for the low cost of 20 plus K? That is crazy. This is at Western States Cat in Meridian?
OK, thanks again for your help. I will order the analysis. Yes, Western States Cat in Meridian.
Is the engine still running, or did you replace it? I have a 289D that has the same described tick. I'm going to pull the cooling pack and check the overhead, along with removing the glow plugs and sticking a bore scope in all the cylinders