Hello, new Member here. I have a drive motor problem. I have a 2015 CAT 259D, 2 speed, tracked skid steer serial #FTL03539. I have a machine code: 70-3, Parking brake voltage above normal . The left drive motor locks up if I am stopped and try to make a turn left or right, forward or reverse from a stationary position. It will not move & bring the engine down to almost a stall. If I go back or forward straight for a couple feet then make my turn, it will work fine. I have also been going in a straight line & that motor just locks up & & just skids that track. Also, when I start to move forward or reverse from a stationary position it is like that motor has the brakes on and you have to throttle up the machine to break it loose & it breaks loose & jerks in the direction I am wanting to go. I seen a You Tube video of a guy that had a drive motor apart & the plate the piston faces ride on is cast & had a crack in it so every time a piston face contacted that crack, the edge of the piston would get caught in the crack and started to wear a hole in that plate making it easier & for a piston edge to get caught in that hole. It seems like a the brake on that drive motor to me. With the price of these drive motors to be rebuilt, I wish someone had an idea or maybe had had the same experience. Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.
TBH I don't think your Park Brake Switch Code is anything to do with the problem but here's the Troubleshooting Procedure anyway. I think you are going to be opening up that drive motor sooner rather than later, and the longer you leave it the more metal particles could be circulating through the hydrostatic & hydraulic systems potentially causing havoc with other hydraulic components. If you think a drive motor is expensive you don't want to contemplate the repair/rebuild cost of pumps & cylinders amongst others.
Thank you Nige. I did change the hydraulic filter & looked for any metallic particles in the filer & oil that was in the filter but didn't see any. I will check this out. Thanks again for your time.
Did you open up the filter, cut out a section of it and squeeze it in a vice before looking for particles.?
Nige, no I cut it apart long ways and inspected each flap of the filter
Thanks
Changed more of those drive motors than you can imagine. If you pull the speed sensor and the 2 speed control spool you'll probably find metal.
Just be aware if you pull those out that it'll be draining out a lot of oil. The spool has springs in there too and make sure the area anywhere near there is spotless. Don't want dirt getting in there.