Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 259D Left Speed Sensor

Satish ยท 2020-05-07 21:54

Hello, I have the infamous left speed sensor 2685-8 "Left Speed Sensor #1 - Abnormal Frequency, Pulse Width, or Frequency" I pulled out the harness that goes from the sensor connector (outside and just under the tracks) to the inside connector underneath the cab. I checked the wiring while shaking the harness around and all seemed okay. The wires from the sensor to the sensor connector (under the track...about 12" long harness) all visually seemed okay. I noticed that the sensor is held on by an allen screw. Does anyone remember what size allen this is? 6mm? SAE? Metric? The screw looks very dirty and worn. I'm afraid that using an allen socket on an extension will probably strip the screw. Anyone had any similar situation happen? BTW, does anyone make a guard to properly protect all the wires and hydraulic lines on each side underneath the tracks??

Replies7
  1. #1Tyler d4c2020-05-07 21:57

    The allen is metric on the ones I've been around 6mm sounds right I have never seen a guard for the lines. Make one maybe. You could try to heat the head of the bolt to free it up just be careful you dont burn up any seals.

  2. #2heymccall2020-05-07 22:08

    Cat makes a guard kit. Open this document. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1WkHSuYHMY88_slXukwlOd On page 14.

  3. #3Tyler d4c2020-05-07 22:09

    I learn a new thing everyday

  4. #4heymccall2020-05-07 22:25
  5. #5Satish2020-05-08 21:59

    I ended up getting so busy at work that I called the CAT service. They came and replaced the speed sensor on the final drive motor in about 75 minutes start to finish. Problem fixed. I definitely should consider these guards. It looks like the entire undercarriage needs to be replaced in order to install them though!

  6. #6Nige2020-05-08 22:14

    Make sure you're sitting down when you ask the price of the Kit. I just checked. For 259D 543-2885 is showing $640, 576-5545 is $430.

  7. #7Satish2020-05-09 09:48

    It's crazy that CAT doesn't just incorporate those into all of their CTL machines. Honestly, had I known that the driveline and speed sensor harnesses were in such vulnerable areas causing hydraulic line failures constantly, I may have considered Bobcat or Kubota more closely.