Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 259D vs 239D

backwaterdogs ยท 2023-11-26 23:06

Looking for a little advice here. About to buy my first track loader for farm and light construction use. Mostly will be brush hogging for powered implement use. after that normal bucket, grading and log skidding type of use. I have a couple of questions if you all could help with. 1) is high flow necessary/worth the cost? I can get many brush cutters that run on std flow and diamond says sometimes std flow is better. 2)would 259D be overkill? or excessively larger (physically) than 239?

Replies8
  1. #1Tyler d4c2023-11-26 23:41

    Most likely on either of these machines hi flow is not need. There's not many 259s with it. I can't speak to a 239 even being a option with high flow. 259s are much more prevalent. More parts available. I have yet to ever see a 239 in person. Seems in our area everyone just goes for the 259 As for wanting to brush hog with it I had ran a low flow model on mine and it seemed to work just fine

  2. #2backwaterdogs2023-11-27 09:26

    Thanks Tyler, that helps a great deal! Will go for the 259 std flow! appreciate the help.

  3. #3CM19952023-11-27 09:50

    Welcome to the Forums BWD. Glad to have you. Are you buying new or used? As Tyler said the 259's are a very popular size. They are too small for what we do however the couple I have ran are nice machines. We run 279's as they are just a bit larger than a 259 and non DEF unlike 299's.

  4. #4backwaterdogs2023-11-27 09:58

    Thanks! Im going to buy new - you only live once, I guess, might as well spend it all! In reality the 259 is way overkill, and i could get by with a clapped out bob cat, but I'm yellow blooded (long time employee) - and this is a rare opportunity for me to afford something like this and pretty pumped about it. Another question though for you all.... anyone familiar with the industrial bucket? it's about a 1k+ upcharge I think - seems like no downside, just cost

  5. #5CM19952023-11-27 19:04

    By industrial bucket do you mean a 4n1? If it's a 4n1 I am not a fan but others love them. If you are going to only have one machine I can see where it could be handy. We use our 279's to fine grade, fill rock boxes and clean up. A 4n1 is just too clunky for what we do. Might be surprised when you get to working a CTL that a 259 is not going to be "way overkill". FWIW - A worn out Cat is still better than a newer Bobcat. I was a Bobcat fan for years but finally had to divorce them. All of our big yellow iron is Cat so decided to go Cat on CTL's as well. Should've switched from Bobcat to Cat years ago. No comparison IMO, YMMV.

  6. #6673moto2023-11-30 18:53

    My 259d is high flow ..never used it. Brush mower works great on std flow. Get the biggest CTL you can ..unless you're tiptoeing around residential areas you will appreciate the larger size.

  7. #7backwaterdogs2023-11-30 19:13

    Thanks all, I pulled the trigger and got std flow 259D3. was delivered today, I must it's a pretty friggin awesome machine, even smells like a new car! Using the bucket of a CTL compared to my AG tractor/loader with the bucket edge nearly 20ft out in front is fantastic. should have done this years ago CM,Cat has an industrial regular bucket with bolt on cutting edge. it's not a 4 in 1 bucket though, just heavier made and has hardened still base and side cutting edges. It's a pretty stout bucket for sure question, still learning the machine, I'm not very experienced operator. I expected to tear up sod, but is pretty bad in my first hour of operation. Is there knack to try and minimize it?

  8. #8CM19952023-11-30 19:24

    Congrats on the machine! Nothing like a new piece of yellow iron. I think you are really going to like it. Our 325 next was delivered last week and it has that new Cat smell complete with all the new gadgets. That's the bucket we start with and weld backhoe shanks on in order to create a tooth bucket with a removable/wearable cutting edge. We used to go through tooth buckets like butter but since we started building them they last 1,000's of hours. By tearing up sod do you mean twisting and turning with the tracks? If so in order to not tear up grass with a CTL one it helps if it's not wet and second you have to take wide and long sweeping turns.