Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 262B Skid Steer Fuel Leak

MichaelKesner ยท 2019-04-22 21:19

Hi Guys, I bought a 2007 Cat 262B a couple weeks ago (has 470 hours on it). It's really in pretty good shape, no smoke, engine bay is very clean, no visible leaks in the engine bay, no dry rotted hoses, enclosed cab, everything is really in pretty good shape. Until a few days ago, I found a dark spot on the under carriage. I have been watching it, today, I found a spot under the dark spot. I rubbed my hand in it, it's definitely diesel. The engine bay is drive, I can't find anything wet in the bay. Ideas of what or where this could be coming from?

Replies4
  1. #1DIYDAVE2019-04-23 06:48

    Look at the top of the injector pump. See any pooling near the top, where the injector lines meet the top of the pump?

  2. #2Nige2019-04-23 07:12

    That plug is the drain plug for the fuel tank. It should be removed on a regular basis to drain water and sediment from the fuel tank. The procedure calls for application of liquid pipe sealer to the threads when reinstalling the plug. I would suggest that you run your tank as low as possible and then remove the plug and reseal. I take it that you don't have an Operation & Maintenance manual..? The procedure is clearly explained in it.

  3. #3kshansen2019-04-23 07:54

    And it's not 100% clear from the picture but it sure looks like that plug has been getting some abuse from dragging on stuff. If pulling like Nige suggests to reseal it and drain crap out of tank I would have a new plug handy to replace it.

  4. #4Zewnten2019-04-23 08:42

    And get an operation and maintenance manual