Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 262B w/ VTS

adv.wastewater ยท 2009-11-08 18:12

So I'm closing on the deal tomorrow. 2006 model cab hydraulic quick attach vts system, 704 hours... Any usual problems out of these machines? What about the Loegering VTS systems? The machine needs a track, but I am paying $16,500 for the machine and I just can't see this being a bad decision. Buying it from an individual who needs the money and hasn't used the machine in months. What do you guys think?

Replies8
  1. #1stuvecorp2009-11-08 20:40

    Wouldn't think you can go wrong on that deal. I have an 70xt with the VTS and love them. They to me are the ticket.

  2. #2adv.wastewater2009-11-08 21:59

    How many hours are on your vts and any complaints on the system? I don't know a whole lot about them but can you grease the rollers somehow?

  3. #3stuvecorp2009-11-08 23:33

    The machine has just over one thousand hours but don't know how many hours are on the VTS. One track was replaced before I got it, I would say the 'bad' one is better than 50% yet. The bad parts with the VTS is they make your machine wide(at least on the Case), they do gear down the top speed, are heavy(but good for lifting) and you are running through one set of chains. You can brake axles or chains so you can't 'cowboy' with them but I've done alot with them and haven't yet wrecked stuff - knock on wood. I don't think you can grease them, will have to look. I really like the ride with them on, you kind of 'float'. The cool part is you can pull them off and put them on the next machine or use the wheels for snow or a job where you are running on blacktop/concrete.

  4. #4catguy2009-11-30 06:03

    I worked at a cat dealer for the last 8 years as a foreman in a catcce shop, I personally don't like the vts set up. you are running on one chain , I have seen high failures on chains with the vts set up, also watctch the hub brg failures with the vts system. look at the space between front and rear idlers on the vts if they are rubbbing the frame they are gone. This is a high failure rate part with the vts system.

  5. #5stuvecorp2009-11-30 12:26

    Which machines were having the problems? I agree that having all the power through one isn't perfect, do you think having a bigger size chain would help this? Have you ever had the chance to run a machine with them on to compare against the CTL or MTL? What do you think could be done to make it more bulletproof?

  6. #6catguy2009-12-01 08:50

    yes mtl or ctl are more stable feeling, the vts will rob power from the drive train, the new c series can be ordered to configure the drivetrain to be vts ready, they are installing heavier chains and axles at the factory. What type of material will you be doing the most of your operating in?

  7. #7stuvecorp2009-12-01 10:02

    I have a 440 Case which has one of the highest torque ratings so I can afford to give up a little power. It is mainly sandy soils here but have been in clay stuff as well. I would never go back to a factory CTL/MTL type machine. I was just wondering what someone from the shop thought.

  8. #8Rebeldude2342010-03-23 19:13

    You can purchase a VTS chain system for your skid steer. This changes out the sprockets inside the chain case so that 2 chains are used to drive the VTS tracks instead of one. the dowside of this is it makes the machine dedicated to VTS tracks, meaning you can install and use tires without changing the sprocket and chain setup once again. About the VTS rollers being able to be greased, they do not take grease, nothing on these tracks have grease zerts.