Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 262C driveability/fuel issues

hermannea · 2018-06-12 13:18

I have a Cat 262C skid steer with driveability/fuel issues. While driving it will begin to lose power, go slower and slower until it stops. It has done this in the past and i have changed fuel filter, still does it... Or take off the suction fuel line and blow it out, still does it... Have drained fuel multiple times to get out water or crud in the tank, not much water or crud any time i have done it... Is there a specific fuel pressure i can test for on the pump? Don't think i'll be able to test pump under load so don't know if that will be accurate... I would take out the tank and check for crud in it if or replace it if i didn't have to take the engine out. Any other ideas so i can rule them out? Thanks, Eric

Replies48
  1. #1heymccall2018-06-12 13:38

    A very common issue is to forget the O-ring between the filter and the water bowl. Letter "E". This will give you the same symptoms that you describe.

  2. #2hermannea2018-06-12 14:03

    Heymccall, thanks for the reply. The filters i buy come with that o-ring so it got replaced about a week ago

  3. #3heymccall2018-06-12 15:20

    I've never gotten one with "that" O-ring...wix, cat, Baldwin, Napa, stanadyne, fleetguard...the O-ring must match the outside of the stepped ledge in the water bowl. You can leave the bowl off and use the filter as supplied but you won't see the water over time.

  4. #4Mark2502018-06-12 18:24

    Hi, you haven't given a serial number so this info may be not quite correct. first off there have been a number of issues with the fuel systems on these machines . the first thing to check would be the fuel cap to make sure it is breathing properly. the second thing to check would be fuel pressure (assuming you have the electric priming pump) make up an adapter and tee into the fuel line and run a gauge into the cab and monitor the fuel pressure while you operate the machine . i have changed out a lot of electric priming pumps under warranty and they have been updated. i have also changed the solenoids on the pump but these generally cause start no start problems the other main problem is water getting into the injection pump and causing issues. a lot of these areas were addressed under warranty

  5. #592U 34062018-06-12 18:48

    Is the engine lacking power or is it just the drive speed is lacking? I know the tracked units do that when the speed sensors in the drive motors crap out. Not sure if the wheeled ones have them as well.

  6. #6hermannea2018-06-13 01:20

    I'll double check that o-ring in the morning. The place i get filters will suggest things and the o-ring was one of the things they suggested a few yrs ago when i started using them

  7. #7hermannea2018-06-13 01:26

    Serial number is MST00606 (Cat 262C) The fuel cap is new as of 2 months or so ago, checked it a few days ago to make sure it was breathing. How is the fuel pressure checked, or what is the pressure i should have?

  8. #8hermannea2018-06-13 01:29

    The engine lacks power, thus also the drive speed. after warmup i throttle up and start driving and it starts going slower and slower til it stops. Sometimes if i sit for a minute i can drive again almost full speed then it starts slowing down and stops again... I would think bad filter or blockage in the line if i hadn't replaced filter and blown out the lines...

  9. #9thepumpguysc2018-06-13 03:53

    I'm alittle confused.. you say it gets slower & slower until it stops.. Do the engine RPM's get slower & slower until the ENGINE DIES?? or does it just stop moving?? I got a kick outta that "service letter" Mark posted.. I've been doing inj. pump work for over 30 years and have NEVER used either of those "ports" to determine water contamination..

  10. #10hermannea2018-06-13 11:21

    No, it just slows until the machine stops. I don't usually stay in it long enough to see if it will die.

  11. #11thepumpguysc2018-06-13 15:09

    You still didn't answer the question.. Do the RPMs drop off?? or do they stay the same & the machine stops moving.. IF the rpms stay the same.. its not a fuel issue..

  12. #12hermannea2018-06-13 15:15

    Sorry. The rpm's stay the same. It did it last year and i was told fuel filter or clogged pickup line. Filter was replaced last week during an oil change and lines were blown out a few times when it started having issues last week

  13. #13thepumpguysc2018-06-13 15:20

    Your working on the wrong component.. its not fuel related.. IF IT WAS, the rpms would slow & the engine would die out..

  14. #14hermannea2018-06-13 15:54

    Any idea what i should start looking at?

  15. #15Mark2502018-06-13 17:34

    Good catch Pumpguy. the way it read, I assumed he meant the engine was dying . guess I wasted my time again Mark

  16. #16thepumpguysc2018-06-13 20:05

    I KNOW how ya feel..

  17. #17hermannea2018-06-14 13:35

    A heavy equip tech told me i had a fuel issue and two people have said its not a fuel issue... I have no idea what the issue is but am not really able to use it until i get it fixed. Drove it some more this morning, 75% throttle, machine starts to slow down until it is just barely moving, if i stop and wait 10 seconds it will drive again and start to slow down in a few minutes to just barely moving again. Throttle/rpms stay pretty much where i set it. Any ideas are welcome

  18. #18phil3142018-06-14 14:11

    If the throttle/rpms stay the same, where you set it at 75%. You do not have a fuel problem. You do have some kind of hydraulic problem. I'd guess it's not a drive motor problem since it sounds like it's affecting both sides of the machine. That would leave the tandem pump, charge pump, hydraulic filters or a stuck valve/broken spring. Someone on here that knows that machine a little better can probably help narrow it down more.

  19. #19hermannea2018-06-14 14:21

    Thanks Phil. Do you or anyone know of a troubleshooting flow chart? I haven't been able to find anything online for Cat

  20. #20phil3142018-06-14 14:51

    I don't know 262c specifically. But if you don't know when the hydraulic filter was last change, that would be a good idea regardless. Are you getting any warning codes/lights? When the machine stops moving, do the bucket and arms still work?

  21. #21thepumpguysc2018-06-14 15:07

    " a heavy equip tech told you".. EVERYBODY KNOWS they don't know sh*t. Lol.!!! {HEF} .. Do you have a tach in your daily driver, car or truck?? If you run outta gas/ fuel.. the rpms drop & the ENGINE shuts off, right? YOUR machine isn't loosing rpm's.. it just stops MOVING.. & you can still throttle up or down..

  22. #22Mark2502018-06-15 05:45

    Hi ,I would still check your fuel pressure .reason being the machine has a feature called the under speed control .this feature will derate the hydrostatic drive system (go slower) to maintain set engine rpm. if fuel pressure doesn't gradually drop off, then I would consider checking the hydrostatic system Mark

  23. #23hermannea2018-06-15 12:37
  24. #24hermannea2018-10-19 18:17

    Field Tech was out today again with Cat ET scanner, machine isn't throwing any codes or showing any events... LH joystick showed it was slightly out of calibration. Best guess was that it was LH joystick related...? Is there anywhere to purchase a used joystick to confirm? Cat price is $660

  25. #25Munga222019-04-04 09:06

    Hi hermannea, Where you able to find the source of the problem with your 262? I’m having the same problem with my 262 now and was also told that it was the LH pilot control valve. $1000 later plus labor and it wasn’t the issue. I also changes the parking brake solenoid with no luck either.

  26. #26hermannea2019-04-04 10:40

    Hey Munga22, Mine turned out to be the o-ring between the fuel filter and the water separator bowl. Two visits from two different techs, two different answers, $1200 later no better. $1.00 o-ring at NAPA fixed it. I have a perfectly good used LH joystick for sale if you’re interested...

  27. #27Munga222019-04-04 17:55

    Thanks for the reply hermannea. I changed the fuel filter today but unfortunately I wasn’t as lucky as you. I’m pulling my hair out trying to figure it out. I also have a LH joystick in perfect working condition. So, if you find someone looking for two, let me know. Lol

  28. #28Breisler2019-09-20 02:14

    How much are you asking for the LH joystick?

  29. #29Fishovertime2019-12-22 19:17

    Any update on this ,my machine has exactly the same issue ,engine RPMs good but the machine just slows down and stops... Very Strange? Help Appreciated Andrew

  30. #30uzz32soarer2020-11-07 05:55

    G'day from Australia. Cat 277C 2012 model. Hate to add to an old thread but rather than start a new one, I'm hoping someone may spot this and offer some assistance. My machine only has 700 hrs, vineyard use rather than heavy daily work. Last week I was pushing up a bunch of vines to a fire pile and after working for an hour revs started to drop and I lost all forward speed. I can get a little backwards and then forwards again, but RPM's are limited and under full throttle, barley any lift in RPM, a bit of white smoke and no drive. I walked away for a lunch hour and managed to get the machine back to the shed and the next day totally cold I got the job done, but coming back to the shed, lost forward momentum and RPM's again. Ordered a new fuel / water separator filter which was just as well as today I'm taking a few branches to the fire pile and moving some woodchips and it died again. Worse this time, the engine actually stalled out. So on the side of the track I replaced the fuel/water filter, cleaned the bowl, drained the tank and filled with a fresh 20 liters of fuel. The unit primed and moved forwards about 20 feet, then died again. I started it after a bit and it moved forwards another 20 feet, then started running fine and I moved it about 80m at good throttle and speed up to the sheds. Then it lost forward momentum again and stalled. Now it wont start. Seems very similar to both of the previous incidents written here.

  31. #31thepumpguysc2020-11-07 06:28

    Next time this happens & shuts off, turn the key off immediately .. Then jump off and yank the filter off.. SEE if it full or empty.. If it’s empty, u can probably blame something in the tank or the supply pump.. I’m assuming it’s electric.? Can u LOOK in the fuel tank or is it baffled.?? Does the fuel get sucked out of the tank thru the top or does it have a line coming from the bottom.??

  32. #32uzz32soarer2020-11-07 06:33

    The fuel gets sucked out from the base of the tank, return in the top. Tank is plastic and baffled. Today I drained the tank and it was spotless. Drain is right alongside the pickup. When I changed the filter today, it was full and the glass bowl below was also full. When I fitted the new one, the maachine self primed and started briefly and I checked the glass bowl and it had picked up fuel immediately. Yes, the pump is electric and sits on top of the fuel / water filter.

  33. #33thepumpguysc2020-11-07 06:43

    Thank u for answering my questions.. but now I’m outta ideas.(lol) other than collapsing rubber hoses.. but that supply pump doesn’t have enough pressure/vacuum to do that, I don’t think .??

  34. #34uzz32soarer2020-11-07 06:45

    I was going to hook up a pressure guage to it tomorrow, any idea what sort of pressure the little CAT self prime pump will produce?

  35. #35thepumpguysc2020-11-07 07:28

    Depends on the injection pump.. The pump needs 6 psi under full load.. If ur gonna hook a gauge to it, make a long enough hose to reach the operator seat.. that way u can use it/put it under a load & watch the gauge as it slows down.. Good luck..

  36. #36heymccall2020-11-07 20:57

    Read 2nd post (mine) here HeavyEquipmentForums

  37. #37ThreeCW2020-11-07 23:25

    Here are a few threads on CAT fuel problems including the filter head plugging issue that heymccall was referring to: HeavyEquipmentForums HeavyEquipmentForums

  38. #38stephen david2023-08-04 21:42

    Hello guys my 262c skid steer arms wouldn't raise or low but the machine still drives and the yellow light stays on can i get some help please

  39. #39Chrisso2023-08-05 01:52

    My best recommendation is to start a new thread, give your machine s/n and any fault codes you can see through the display (if any), how long the fault has been occurring, any service work performed recently, etc, etc. Saves folks reading 2 pages of information then realise it's a post from 2018

  40. #40Nige2023-08-05 05:47

    If you haven't done this before, see this LINK that explains how to do it. Also, as @Chrisso mentioned, post a Serial Number.

  41. #41stephen david2023-08-05 10:12

    The fault just appear and the skid steer arm would not work no codes came up

  42. #42Nige2023-08-05 10:49

    As @Chrisso said earlier, create a new thread because your symptoms are nothing like the ones experienced by the original poster who created this thread.

  43. #43Nige2023-08-07 06:09

    If you need help creating a thread, click this LINK which will walk you through the process. Your new thread should be in this same section - Skid Steer Loaders.

  44. #44jbarnes852023-10-01 11:10

    Hi, where did you buy letter "e" oring at from your picture? Thank you John

  45. #45stourpaine2023-10-01 19:49

    hook up a fuel supply from a can hooked on the side go straight to the injection pump not through the filters or lines on the machine see if the problem goes away if it does then remove the temp set up and add a piece of clear line in the system run and look for air bubbles. You may be drawing air. fuel pressure from the electric fuel pump assuming it has one is around 7-9 psi. if it has a mechanical fuel pump remove the bolt/screw on the top of it you will find a nylon screen inside that often plugs when a machine has fuel obstructions they will suck from where ever they can so loose clamps etc. will draw air. After that remove the hydraulic filter and cut it with a filter cutter cut out a section of the filter and squeze it in some paper towel in the vice then look through it for debris from a wheel motor or ....other failure that may be happening A sos sample may tell you something to

  46. #46heymccall2023-10-02 05:28

    Caterpillar 1288614 is all the seals for the bowl, including that one.

  47. #47Monkey man 752023-10-04 23:14

    Check your hydraulic lockout switch. If the switch is flipped the machine will still travel but lift arms do not work. If it has an enclosed cab, make sure the magnet in the door hinge is still there.

  48. #48stourpaine2023-10-05 09:24

    can stick a magnet accross there or there is a cat by pass wire dt plug wire installed attached to the harness nearby later models moved the plug to behind the seat on LH side of machine sitting in the seat