Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 267B Tracks

tbone1471 ยท 2011-08-14 08:13

We were doing some pond work when one of the guys noticed something flapping on the track..... I can't believe this. The tracks are cat with about 500hrs. They had been used on pavement some but still had at least 50% life left on the tread. I could understand if we were doing donuts on concrete or they were cheap aftermarket tracks but this is outrageous. It separated in mud where asv tracks are supposed to work great. This is the only cat piece I own and it is the one that has needed the most upkeep. I guess it might be time to sell. Cat said something about brand loyalty right after they told me no prorate on the tracks. Why would I want another one? With all the other posts about tracks coming off on the C machines... I have been trying to find some tracks but have come up with prices in the 2000-3000 dollar range for new. And, used are hard to come by. Does anyone have any ideas? Also any ideas on a resale value? I know it isn't worth anything the way it sits now. I can't make a decision on whether to fix it and keep it or sell. I know I will need it for plowing this winter and it seems like machine prices are going up some. Thanks for the help.

Replies8
  1. #1Lee-online2011-08-14 09:28

    We have always prorated the tracks if they come apart like that. I would call your PSSR and see what he can do.

  2. #2Stick Pro2011-08-14 19:03

    I have had that problem one time with my 287b the track only had 100 hours on them. They replaced the track completely no cost. The dealer told me they will only prorate the track up to 1200 hours or one year, whitch ever one comes first, how old are your tracks?

  3. #3xcmark2011-08-14 19:14

    If they will not give you any factory support I would see if you can hillbilly fix it with some carrige bolts.

  4. #4grandpa2011-08-14 19:19

    Tbone,,, I have a 267B and about 500 hrs is all I can get out of a set too. I love the machine, its a little brute, but have had alot of problems with the undercarrige. The rest of the machine has been trouble free. i have about 2500 hrs on it now.

  5. #5tbone14712011-08-14 19:22

    The tracks are over a year old. This machine doesn't see much use as the Deere is less expensive to maintain. I just can't come to terms with 2000 per track. I could get steel replacement tracks for my Deere 50 for what it would cost to replace the tracks on this machine. I don't expect Cat to warranty the tracks till they are shot. But, with the limited use it has to be a manufacturing defect. My local dealer said they have never prorated a track because it is not something that cat would do. Now I feel like I am being lied to. Although hearing this makes me feel better that I didn't purchase a new 305 from them. I always thought they were a decent dealer but I guess with my limited cat needs and just always paying out of pocket i had never seen how they handled a dissatisfied customer. We bolted the track back together and have been babying it to try and make it through this job, but I really need to have something lined up for when it fails. Anybody with any ideas where to find some used ones besides trackworks and rubbertraxs?

  6. #6tbone14712011-08-14 19:32

    I do like the machine. I also have just under 2500hrs on mine. Failures of other components has also been relatively sparse, no more than any other machine. But if all I am going to get out of a set of track is 500hrs before failure that would mean $10/hr of billable would have to go to track replacement. This makes the machine operating costs too high because I also have to set aside for routine maintenance, operator cost, future replacement, etc. So I should lose an additional $10/hr just for the pleasure of owning a Caterpillar?

  7. #7grandpa2011-08-14 19:43

    Well , I added the extra cost on. The machine will do dang near anything you want out of it,, just have to plan appropretly for the additional cost. My dealer has been very good with me.....i have never replaced just the track's, i replace the complete assembly,, tracks,rollers, sprockets , motor, hose's the works.

  8. #8KSSS2011-08-14 19:47

    They don't have any real value on the used market. Even with new tracks you would not likely see anything over 15K assuming you have a cab with AC. Research Iron Planet on the machines that have sold and you can get an idea of what guys are willing to pay. You wont feel any better about the machine after you see what their used value is.