Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 272D attachment oil flow speed

Metalman 55 · 2020-03-15 14:55

I just took delivery of this grapple for the 272D skidsteer & after hooking it up yesterday found the speed of the grapple arms to be way too fast. I have the advanced screen on the 272D & tried to slow down the oil flow speed to the attachment but it doesn't seem to get to an acceptable level. Any ideas of how to reduce the attachment flow?

Replies3
  1. #1Mobiltech2020-03-15 16:37

    That’s a nice grapple. If electronic flow control isn’t enough you could add restrictor orifice in the lines right after the quick couplers. With ORFS fittings it’s as easy as a round shim with a small hole in it inserted at the hose connection to the coupler. Cat used to install them on the grapple rotate on skidders to slow them down. The hole in them was very small like 1/8 inch.

  2. #2Metalman 552020-03-15 19:39

    Are these flow restrictors purchased or a "make your own" item? Good idea.

  3. #3Mobiltech2020-03-16 14:10

    At the time for the skidder cat had them. Because I was in the field when I needed them and would have had to make an extra trip I made my own from a shim with a hole punched in it. The funny thing was there was a cat factory rep there when I did it and he was fine with it.