Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 272D lift arms do not function

eastforker · 2024-10-03 16:42

I got this machine as a repo from the bank so I do not know the history. It was missing the small gear pump and I replaced that. everything seems to function forward backwards and bucket tilt but lift arms will not lift. If I tilt bucket forward and lift front of machine I can pull back on joy stick and the arms will raise and stay in position. When I push joystick forward the arms lower but will not raise on their own. Machine only has 3300 hours. 272dpb5w00489

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2024-10-03 16:45

    1st stupid question. Has someone pulled the emergency lift arm "lowering" control handle in the cab.?

  2. #2eastforker2024-10-03 16:47

    Yes but I reset that

  3. #3eastforker2024-10-03 16:48

    I can hear what sound like the pump tryin to work when I operate joy stick

  4. #4Nige2024-10-03 16:54

    Time to break out the pressure gauges and hook up ET by the sounds of it, especially if you have no previous history.

  5. #5eastforker2024-10-03 16:56

    Even with everything else working properly and excuse my ignorance but what is ET.

  6. #6Nige2024-10-03 17:04

    Cat Electronic Technician diagnostic software. At this point in time I would suggest that you have to eliminate the possibility that a problem in the machine electronic system is causing the bucket lift hydraulics to malfunction. EDIT: Here’s a thought. Post a photo of the instrument panel located in the upper RH corner of the cab. You may just have what’s known as the Advanced Display that gives access to onboard diagnostics.

  7. #7eastforker2024-10-03 17:53
  8. #8Nige2024-10-03 17:54

    Sorry that’s the standard panel which unfortunately means that you are going to need ET to check out the electronics side of things.

  9. #9eastforker2024-10-03 18:01

    Thank you Nige!

  10. #10eastforker2024-10-26 14:43

    Come to find out it was the pump, new hyd and charge pump and everything works wellexcept, now my cooling fan will not come on and radiator over heats

  11. #11Nige2024-10-26 15:02

    I think you might be back to looking for ET and pull the Codes and see if there is anything related to the fan motor solenoid