So, I've finally had some time over the last 2 weeks to put some hrs on my 272D. I read all the reviews prior, but found what I think, was a really good deal on one. Now, I own a 277B. I've had it for 6 years now. I have since almost parked my Case 570MXT since then. I love tracked steers. Even though the maintenance costs are way up there, it makes up in production. I wanted a tire machine mainly for demo purposes. Yes I know, 262 would better fit this application. But, it's a large machine, and fits my company setup perfect. I do a lot of grading these days on small, tight construction sites. Mind you, I also have a 246 for the real tight areas. My 272D does not have the advanced display. It's about $1,800 to put it in. Everything is already pre wired. So I can install, and pay the dealer to program the computer. This will allow me to speed up the hydraulics. Honestly, that's my only complaint. The power is there. The ride control is awesome for hauling material around, and for traveling a ways. The cockpit is comfortable for me. It's pretty damn easy to get to everything for repairs/maintenance. Vision is a bit of a pain, but everything else makes up for it. I've read that they're noisy, but I sure don't think so. The high lift is nice for loading end dump trailers. Overall, I don't regret my decision one bit.
I looked at the 272D when I replaced my 465 this year. I just could not get passed the price tag. A high flow 272D compared to a high flow SV300 both completely loaded, was 9K. I was not giving another 9k for the CAT. I am also happy with my decision. I got the SV300 in November, and have put 150 hours on it so far, moving material on foundation digs and loading trucks. So far I don't think I could be more pleased, regardless of the color I could have selected. At the end of the day, I think as long as the guy that buys it, is happy with it, that is all that matters.
I understand completely. If I was buying brand new, I probably would rethink my decision, but I buy used. Total hours on a machine don't bother me, as long as it's in good shape, and has been taken care of. I don't understand why so many people are scared of high hour equipment. Although, I repair all of my own equipment, which saves me a lot of money.
I had a 272d at work. Was definetly my favorite wheeled machine there, and was sad to see it go.
The 272 is a great machine. It is very stable due to the longer wheel base. Ran one a few years ago with a 60" wheel saw on a road job. It's a tank and with hi-flow hydraulics an handle just about any tool. I did not own it though - although if I remember correctly - it was less $ than my current 289. If faster hydraulic speed is all you need, and you don't need adjustability on the fly, your dealer can manually set the higher flow toggle on your current machine without adding the AMICS panel. The factory default was level 1 - level 2 and 3 are programmable. Would save you some $ to see if you can stand level 2 or 3 all the time before adding the panel. I normally run in level 2 (via the AMICS panel) and only use L3 when plowing snow or mass transfer of bulk material.
I didn't know people didn't like them? They aren't the most common around here because the dealer doesn't really push them, most people are happy with a 262 size machine and price tag. The 272 is larger and more money and there just isn't as many people who need a wheeled machine in that size. The Ag guys are the ones who really buy a lot of wheeled machines and the 262 is in the Ag program which is a large part of why its so popular. I can see where the 272 does have its advantages though, especially now that the 262 is down to 72-74hp (C2,D models) and the 272 is at 98hp. There's also the advantage of the XHP version if you need some serious hydraulic power. The 272 is slower than the 262 for travel speed which can be important or non important depending on the work you do.