Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 277 PWM joystick conversion

JBDiesel · 2026-04-01 10:14

Hello, have a cat 277 SN- CNC01404 that I am swapping the right hand joystick over from the button style aux control to the pulse width modulated roller style joystick part #242-8279. I am looking for the wiring diagram to do this swap as the old joystick had a 6pin connector and the new has a 12 pin. Still 4 wires for each but color and pin code is different. I have ET to change the setting in the controller, just need wiring info. Thanks

Replies17
  1. #1Nige2026-04-01 10:25

    Simple answer. You can’t do it the way you are planning. You need the early type RH joystick where the thumbwheel roller is a Hall Sensor that outputs a varying voltage as a signal to the AUX ECM. It is not a PWM signal. Right now I’m not 100% sure what P/N that handle is and I have no way of checking. I will say that the appropriate type of RH joystick handle for that machine will have a 6-pin connector so I am 99% sure you have the wrong one.

  2. #2JBDiesel2026-04-01 10:44

    The original handle for this machine has 2 ground control aux buttons and did not have a rocker switch. The original part number for it is 168-7969 and is no longer available. There is a note in SIS to replace with the 242-8279 handle with the rocker control for the aux. I guess I am not sure if the new handle is in fact PWM but I was just going off of what ET was showing in config, for changing it from ground control to PWM. There are no other notes that I seen in ET for this swap annoyingly.

  3. #3Nige2026-04-01 10:51

    Unfortunately my laptop is down at the moment and I can’t look anything up. Does SIS list a document number that gives details of the replacement process.? It may need something like a jumper harness. Try searching SIS for 242-8279 without entering a machine Serial Number and see what pops up in the way of Service Mag articles or Special Instructions.

  4. #4JBDiesel2026-04-01 10:55

    No articles or publications come up for it or the old handle, which is pretty weird being the old part number is discontinued and you have to order the updated handle...

  5. #5Nige2026-04-01 10:57

    When I get back up and running I’ll dig into it a bit more. However at this point in time I have no idea when this will be. I can’t even confirm whether the 242-8279 is Hall Effect or PWM.

  6. #6JBDiesel2026-04-01 11:28

    I did do some more digging and if you put in the control gp #160-4320, it comes up with that new handle (242-8279) and a harness adapter (242-8277). We actusally had one of those harness adapters so I gave that a try, it does switch it from the 6 pin to 12 pin but somthing is still off as the populated pins in the conversion harness do not align with that of the new handle. I noticed that the pin retainer in the new handles connector has a piece broken out of it and am really wondering now if this was a retuned part that sonmone also had this issue with and tried swapping pins without having the conversion harness.

  7. #7JBDiesel2026-04-01 11:30

    Here are a few pics of the new joystick connector and the adapter harness. The new joystick connector looks to be tampered with

  8. #8Nige2026-04-01 11:38

    It certainly does, so there is no guarantee that the pin-outs as they are right now are correct. Is the receptacle in your first photo the one on the joystick pigtail.? I also assume that the joystick handle is not new, or is it.? The only thing I can suggest is you need access to electrical schematics, one for the machine and the other for the replacement joystick. Regarding the joystick one try searching SIS for the Part Number and see if it pops up on any later-model schematics.

  9. #9JBDiesel2026-04-01 11:55

    The first picture is of the new joystick connector, it is right from the dealer, got it yesterday. But sure seems like a returned one the more I look at it. Gonna order another one and see if the pinout is the same.

  10. #10Nige2026-04-01 12:05

    Right. Gotcha. When you look at the 12-pin plug on the jumper harness in your 2nd photo the expectation is that the receptacle on the joystick pigtail should have 3/4 wires pinned in a almost square pattern at one end of the 12-pin connector if everything was to work. IIRC the joystick pigtail for the thumbwheel roller switch contains 4 wires but only 3 of them (8v power, return, and signal) are required for it to operate. The 4th wire is marked “calibration” on the schematic but does not connect to anything on the machine harness.

  11. #11JBDiesel2026-04-01 12:43

    Gotcha. In everythings current form, the connector on the joystick is layed out with 4 of the pins in a column on one side of the connector and one of them would not be making any connection through the jumper harness, possibly the CAL wire but who knows. With a schematic of the new joystick and the machine side it would definitely be an easy repin, but currently without that, I did order another joystick so I'll see if that one is pinned the same when it comes in tomorrow.

  12. #12Nige2026-04-01 13:31

    Doesn’t the schematic based on the CNC01404 machine Serial Number show that.? Have you tried this.?

  13. #13JBDiesel2026-04-01 13:55

    I dont know if its an issue on my end or an access level thing with my SIS but no schematics come up for this machine.

  14. #14JBDiesel2026-04-01 16:51

    Doesn't seem to come up for me. I got the schematic from Simon, I appreciate the info and help.

  15. #15Nige2026-04-01 17:03

    At least that will give you the pinouts for the original machine joystick connector and obviously for the end of the jumper harness that mates to it. It’s just a matter of finding the documentation relating to the handle retrofit now. Fingers crossed there is some wiring info on it.

  16. #16JBDiesel2026-04-02 08:07

    So update, after the new joystick came in this morning, we found the wiring was in fact different from the other "new" joystick I had received yesterday that I had suspected having been tampered with. After changing the pins to their correct home, installing the 242-8277 adapter harness, and changing the configuration in ET to PWM, it works! Imagine that haha. Lots of unnecessary pain because someone messed with something they shouldn't have and then returned it... Below is a picture of the correct wiring in the connector and we did finally find some documentation on the swap in SIS. Thanks for the support as always.

  17. #17Nige2026-04-02 08:55

    I knew there had to be something somewhere.