Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 277 with no Aux Hydraulics

AugustCat ยท 2026-07-16 00:56

I have a 2006 cat 277 serial # cnc02282 When I bought it only the right aux hydraulics button worked. After digging into it and trying to diagnose it I narrowed it down to the joystick by way of ohming out the connections at the joystick harness connection as per the Cat diagnosis I was sent by the dealer. I took the joy stick apart to see if there was something obviously wrong that I could maybe fix. Didn't find anything obviously wrong so I put it back together now nothing works... I know shocker. I am having trouble finding the right joy stick replacement for it. I get the part number 218-6118 and there are replacements available on amazon,ebay,etc but they have 4-6 wires coming off of them and I doubt they are actually what I need. Wondering if there are any other options other than 1200$ from cat? If I am able to just splice the proper wires on the amazon one I am happy to do so but I doubt it has the correct internals in it. I get 4v on the orange wire 8v on the red wire and black is a ground with the joy stick still connected but when I disconnect the joystick the orange wire jumps to 7.56v. Any help with the proper part or further diagnosis would be greatly appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2026-07-16 04:52

    So I take it that your RH joystick handle has two buttons as shown in the illustration below rather than the optional thumbwheel roller switch.? If it does then the electrical schematic for it looks like this. The buttons simply control spring-loaded on/off switches. The original RH handle for your machine was a 160-4320. That number was cancelled and replaced by 218-6118 but to install it requires a 242-8277 jumper harness because the original connector was a 6-pin and the replacement handle has a 12-pin connector. Additionally the 218-6118 handle was later updated to 242-8279. Can you post photos of the 6-pin electrical connector where you are testing these voltages and also inspect the wires for numbers printed on them so that wire colours & numbers can be related. The electric schematic I'm looking at (allegedly covering your machine Serial Number) doesn't show anything of an orange wire at that location.

  2. #2AugustCat2026-07-16 13:30

    Yes, it is just two buttons not the thumb roller. When I opened it up it did not seem like a simple on/off switch, there was a ribbon cable coming from the switch to a small electrical board in the handle of the joystick. I will open up the machine again and take photos of the connector although it will be tough to get a good photo as it is buried behind the pilot lines and ac vents. It's located in a horrible spot tbh.

  3. #3Nige2026-07-16 13:46

    I'm just going on what the electrical schematic indicates. I haven't seen inside one of those handles because the roller switch type is far more common.

  4. #4palpav2026-07-20 14:59

    Please, more information and photos? Joystick Service Joystick renovation and other electrical repairs for agricultural and construction machinery. joystick-service.cz Instagram Create an account or log in to Instagram - Share what you're into with the people who get you. www.instagram.com