Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 277b blowing off oil filler cap

brabe ยท 2011-02-11 15:03

Any ideas why I would keep blowing off my oil filler cap on 2003 277b??? It did it a few days ago and then again today. thanks

Replies9
  1. #1maddog2011-02-11 15:30

    just a shot in the dark could the oil vent pipe be blocked?

  2. #2willie592011-02-11 18:41

    Freezing weather there? I've heard of condensation building up in the crankcase vent system on those Perkins engines. The condensation freezes, then it won't vent crankcase pressure. I seem to recall Steve having this problem once.

  3. #3brabe2011-02-11 18:52

    It has been below 32 for a while like 10-20 degrees, what should i do if anything to fix it? Or should I just wait until it gets warmer and see if it does it?

  4. #4willie592011-02-11 19:23

    Well, I'm not sure as I'm not real familiar with the engine components on that machine. Me and maddog are only saying if you're blowing your oil cap off, you've most likely got excessive crankcase pressure. It could be major internal engine component failure, but also could be something as simple as crankcase vent system isn't doing just that, venting the pressure. I seem to recall Steve having a similar problem on his Cat skid. Don't remember if it was the same thing or not, but do remember he had a vent problem.

  5. #5xcmark2011-02-11 19:46

    I think the motor may not be warming up to full temp , check that first. Then maybe think about blocking some of the air going threw the engine compartment if your not running a load on the motor or hyrdos. I dont suggest this if your using a blower or muching head or something like that.

  6. #6John C.2011-02-11 20:27

    Just a guess but I believe that engine as a positive crankcase ventilation valve on the breather cap on the valve cover or somewhere close to it. I would suspect that valve got some water in it from condensation clearing out of the engine when it warms up. You will probably have to blow some hot air on the breather or valve until it frees up.

  7. #7Z28982011-02-13 09:22

    I believe there is a change up that replaces current breather valve with an open breather tube that eliminates freeze off of breather. Certainly sounds like the issue. You will need to check with your dealer for more info.

  8. #8Lee-online2011-02-13 09:45

    Correct, The old breather hoses are removed and all hoses and holes are plugged and just run a hose directly off the valve cover down the side of the engine. I can sent instructions if needed.

  9. #9nateatvtc2014-03-02 05:11

    I am having this same problem. The machine came from down south so I'm sure it was never run in freezing temperatures. If possible, could you please forward instructions for fixing the problem. Thanks.