Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 277B Steering Problems

workman34 ยท 2014-04-16 22:39

My Skid Steer ASV 277B wont steer to the left going forward. I come to a sudden stop with the slightest left movement of the joystick. It drives fine moving straight ahead or turning right. Also, when backing up it steers both left and right just fine. Any suggestions on a possible cause would be appreciated.

Replies20
  1. #1workman342014-04-17 13:08

    This must be an uncommon problem as my Cat dealer has not heard of this happening before.

  2. #2workman342014-04-17 14:55

    My Cat dealer is sending me a new joy stick assembly. That is there best guess as to my problem. I'll update once I get it installed.

  3. #3Jphtmaxx2014-04-18 10:21

    I have a 2004 277. I replaced a drive motor on my right side. The machine would not turn left. If it did, it was very jerky and would sometimes just plain stop, if I was going straight forward and backwards the machine was fine. I also had problems with driving up on my trailer or climbing hills, loss of power/momentum. Since I replaced the drive motor, I can turn to the left on a dime and no longer have problems going up hills. Turning right is starting to act up now and I feel that the drive motor will have to be replaced too. When I go forward, my machine drifts a little to the right. I have not looked into this yet as I am hoping it is just an adjustment. My machine has 28xx hrs.

  4. #4workman342014-04-18 16:16

    My first thought was that I had a bad drive motor, but my dealer ruled it out as I can steer both directions while backing up. Also, I have no loss of power. There best guess is the control valve in the left joy stick. For $850.00 I hope that fixes it. I replaced the left drive motor last year for $2500. The repairs are starting to add up a bit. Good luck with you drifting problem. My parts came in today ( the wrong parts) so it will be taking up room in my shop for a few more days.

  5. #5Jphtmaxx2014-04-18 16:22

    If the drifting is the only problem I have, I can live with it for now. I ordered my drive motor from a guy out of WI I think. He claims that they are new units and not remans for $1500. My SS was jerking going in reverse. I hope the joy stick fixes your problem. How many hrs on your machine?

  6. #6workman342014-04-18 16:35

    I have 1341 hrs. on that unit. I paid $2500 for a remanufactured drive motor!!

  7. #7workman342014-04-18 16:52

    I plowed snow for 12 hrs. that day in 2008. One of the guys had to help dig me out as my legs where incased in snow all the way up to my lap. I had never been so cold in my life. I couldn't walk for many hours after.

  8. #8Jphtmaxx2014-04-18 16:55

    My hats off to you. I built a homemade door to block some the wind off me just to plow the road. With my heat on high I still got cold in less than an hr and went inside.

  9. #9workman342014-04-18 17:13

    This is off topic a bit. I don't have allot of experience repairing Cat but I struggle though it. Here is a picture of my fleet that I'm a little more accustomed to repairing.

  10. #10workman342014-04-18 17:17
  11. #11Stick Pro2014-04-18 22:26

    I have a 287 with the same problem, they have told me there is a rebuild kit for the pilot valve. That should save you some money from buying a new one.

  12. #12workman342014-04-18 22:43

    Thanks Stick Pro, I asked my dealer for the rebuild parts. They told me that they could only sell it as a complete unit. Have I been gouged??

  13. #13Stick Pro2014-04-18 23:15

    There has been a thread on here that was talking about the upgrade oil rings in the valve. They said there was a kit for her. I will look for a part number for it on Monday. Nice looking 277 you have.

  14. #14workman342014-04-18 23:23

    Thanks Stick Pro, We rented it in 2008 during the build of Wine Valley Golf Club. Instead of giving it back to the rental company, we decided to buy it. $22000. It's great to have around the shop to unload trucks of fertilizer. So far I have only had to replace one track drive and an oil pan. The oil pan replacement was not a fun task!!

  15. #15Nortex2015-06-09 22:19

    Do you still have the info for these drive motors? I'm in the market. Thanks

  16. #16workman342015-06-10 00:41

    Sorry I have not updated the group on the resolution to my problem. It turned out that I was correct when I thought it was the drive motor. Cat got it wrong and sent me a bill for $900 for the mis diagnosis. It figures. They also would not take back the joy stick when it turned out not to be the problem. The dealer told me next that it could only be the main pump $12000 for them to do the work and install a new pump. I told them to jump off a bridge. I removed the pump myself (not an easy job) and took it in to a local shop. The pump was fine. I pulled the track motor off and took it into the same shop. They got it apart and found a bunch of ground up mettle. They rebuilt the track motor for me, $800 Its all back together now and works great.

  17. #17workman342015-06-10 00:44
  18. #18delmer70762015-06-11 07:13

    I got a set of drive motors and pump assembly out of a running takeout I would be interested in selling.

  19. #19Jphtmaxx2015-06-17 12:39

    How much are you asking for the drive motors? Workman, do you have the info for the shop that rebuilt your drive motor. Everyone i have talked to is in the $1500+ range to take apart and reseal

  20. #20Williamsmith2020-05-22 17:44

    Hello Cat 287b Just replaced piston pump that connects to motor. Now I have the reverse beeper stuck and no movement left right or straight. When I command backwards it moves the right track back only. Spinning me. Any ideas?