Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 277b Steering question

VINNIED ยท 2017-04-26 13:59

I have a 2006 cat 277b that seems to be low on power to the tracks when steering left or right. A tech at the local cat store told me not to over estimate the power of the tracks when turning keeping in mind the weight of the machine and the size of the track surface to ground contact. Something still just doesn't seem rite. The unit has good power forward and reverse and will usually spin the tracks in forward , pulling in to a pile of dirt its strong and has good digging power. Drives straight and doesn't drift to one side at all. Controls react as they should, no delay. When trying to steer left or right especially with a load in bucket its seems low on track power, sometimes almost coming to a crawl to make it turn , even when throttling up to wide open, especially after operating temp is reached. The tracks are receiving power to them as i can see them react but once or twice it has more or less not turned at all. When this has happened I have to roll forward, then steer to get it turning. Changed all the fluids in the whole machine and filters also. Unit has 1900 hours and appears to be well taken care of. I have used it maybe 100 hours since purchase and it does the job but I just cant believe its meant to be such a slouch on power when steering. I have read a few post about joystick problems and seen where the C series went a electronic joystick. Any help would be greatly appreciated or if someone will chime in and tell me that's just the nature of the beast on these units.

Replies0

No replies yet.