Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 277b throttle question

Jasonbowling · 2019-04-06 15:23

I'm sure this will get all different replies. So my 277b is fixed and running awesome. Question on throttle settings. When operating, can I run around at mid throttle and when more power is needed use the foot throttle? I have had a guy that has a 259d say that is how to run it. Then a Bobcat owner said full throttle all the time or burn up the hydraulic pumps.

Replies5
  1. #1thepumpguysc2019-04-07 05:23

    unless its a GEN-SET.. no diesel engine is made to operate at full throttle all the time.. THATS WHY they put a variable speed governor on them.. & pressure relief valves in hyro's..

  2. #2Nige2019-04-07 07:47

    Wot he said ............

  3. #3Mobiltech2019-04-07 10:17

    It is a common misconception with excavators and skid steers that you have to run wide open throttle. You can run any speed you want as long as youre not lugging and stalling the engine. When I’m doing fine work with my 287 I use the throttle pedal to control my speed but when I’m plowing snow I go full throttle.

  4. #4ianjoub2019-04-07 17:43

    +1 On my 287: mulcher = full throttle every other attachment is barely over idle

  5. #592U 34062019-04-07 18:09

    Burn out hydraulic pump from too low RPM? That's a new one on me.