Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 279C Electrical issue

rust buster · 2020-07-27 17:58

I’ve been fighting electrical gremlins for a long time on this machine. Something is preventing full amp delivery to the starter. Battery is good (tried three different known good ones), grounds are good. When I turn the key, it acts like a dying battery and barely turns over. If I jump it, it will start. I hear a relay or something clicking, and I replaced one of the main power relays to no avail. Any ideas? Could it be the starter relay? Why would jumping it fix it?

Replies4
  1. #1Cmark2020-07-27 18:03

    Where are you connecting the jumper cables?

  2. #2rust buster2020-07-27 18:39

    The rear positive post by the back door, and a ground on the engine

  3. #3heymccall2020-07-27 22:59

    What happens if you jump just at both battery posts?

  4. #4rust buster2020-07-28 07:52

    Good question, I'll have to try that next. I wish they'd put the batteries in a better place in these...