Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 279D password removal help please

Bullitt · 2023-05-02 15:35

I bought a CAT 279D and you have to put a passcode in every time you start it up, it annoying and I'd like to get rid of it. I tried to delete all the profiles with CAT ET but it keeps asking for a passcode. I made a profile with key instead of passcode and it's the only one left. It asked for Key ID but I'm not sure what to put in the fields. I tried 1:0 there is no read button for reading the current key ID, I'm pretty sure it doesnt have a transponder anyways Does anyone know a trick for removing the passcode entry when starting the machine?

Replies15
  1. #1Nige2023-05-02 20:57

    Is the attached document of any use to you.? If you are referring to the anti-theft passcode it can be disabled but not via ET. Can you post a photo of the key.? If your machine is not exactly as per these instructions please post a Serial Number and I can take a look at the relevant information. BTW this info should all be contained in the buff-coloured Operation & Maintenance Manual located in the pocket behind the seat. If it's missing you could easily get a replacement on CD for around $70 IIRC. It would be extremely useful if you are doing all your own maintenance.

  2. #2Bullitt2023-05-03 10:16

    This machine monitor is newer then the documented one. I did browse the manual and the CD for relevant information but couldn't find any related to it removal. S#: CAT0279DHGTLO4472

  3. #3Nige2023-05-03 10:29

    Not exactly newer but different. I can see from the system that your machine has the optional Advanced Display on the RH panel rather than the standard one. That's why a S/N is important. The info is not in the O&M Manual which is somewhat surprising. See where the attached document gets you. I get the impression it might require Factory Passwords but didn't read it in detail.

  4. #4Bullitt2023-05-03 11:23

    That was very helpful. It looks like I have to disable it in the configuration. Now I just have to figure out how to change the configuration haha.

  5. #5Nige2023-05-03 11:44

    That's where from a quick skim of that document I think you may need Factory Passwords to acheive that.

  6. #6Bullitt2023-05-03 12:33

    I have the factory passwords, but for some reason the configuration tool is greyed out from me opening it.

  7. #7Nige2023-05-03 12:42

    You mean the ones generated via the online system that are single use only.? Normally a request for them is not generated in the system until you actually click on the parameter you want to change and select to change it from "Installed" to "Not installed". If yes then maybe try a different laptop and/or Comm Adapter.?

  8. #8DEMLONE702023-05-03 13:04

    He need dealer ET i think

  9. #9Nige2023-05-03 13:20

    I agree, but even Customer ET should allow entry into the Configuration menu even if certain parameters are only viewable rather than being editable.

  10. #10Bullitt2023-05-10 19:51

    I had to order Cat Comm III the adapter I was using didn't have CDL

  11. #11Nige2023-05-11 00:38

    Without a comm adapter equipped with CDL you don’t have a prayer of doing anything to that ECM. Did it require passwords to change the configuration status.?

  12. #12Birken Vogt2023-05-11 01:46

    Are there different adapters that have different level of capability?

  13. #13Cmark2023-05-11 03:35

    All Cat comm adapters work with CDL. It's the aftermarket ones that seem to have difficulty. Earlier Cat comm adapters won't work with the newer J1939 data links, which basically means anything with a Perkins or Kubota derived engine, or with DEF systems.

  14. #14WCRH2024-01-30 11:33

    how do you crate an account with cat or where do you get the factory codes from

  15. #15Nige2024-01-30 13:43

    Same place for both. Your local friendly Cat dealer..........