Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 279D quick coupler

Mitch O ยท 2017-02-23 10:42

Hey, have recently had a quick coupler installed on my skid steer. The problem is when I uncouple and attachment the ram does not work. It's like it's stuck and won't move to uncouple the attachment. I keep it greased and it seems to work better (grease the fittings once a week). But that seems a bit much. Has anyone had the same problem?? It just seems the motor for the unit is very week especial when it's used to retract the pins.

Replies7
  1. #1CM19952017-02-23 19:30

    Our 279D has a hyd coupler on it and I haven't experienced the problem. Even when it's been packed with mud and debris it'll pull the pins out. We don't grease the pins every time we grease the bucket linkage but every other time. What are your working conditions and what kind of material are you moving? When we're moving stone dust or 8910 stone, we have to grease the bucket linkage 2-3 times a day as the limestone dust eats even the best grease.

  2. #2Nige2017-02-24 03:25

    I'd say the linkage needs greasing more frequently than once a week, although that's without the benefit of looking at the O&M manual. Do you have one? If so what does it recommend..? I've said it before and I'll say it again. Good lubrication done at the correct intervals is the best & cheapest insurance policy you'll ever buy.......

  3. #3Mitch O2017-02-24 10:42

    Thanks for responding. You state your coupler is "hydraulic". Mine is a small electrical motor. I think that's the difference. I think the motor is under powered when it disengages the pins.

  4. #4Mitch O2017-02-24 10:43

    I agree with the lubrication.

  5. #5CM19952017-02-24 19:08

    I have the same. It's an electric actuator that powers the hydraulic cylinder.

  6. #6Nige2017-02-25 05:48

    According to the O&M, quick coupler maintenance should be daily or every 10 operating hours, whichever comes first. Antoher thought came up that maybe you have a bent pin or pins on the QC..? If you don't have an O&M for your machine check https://servicemanualpro.com for genuine factory manuals. Should be about $40 on CD, well worth the money IMHO.

  7. #7SchuLace2017-02-25 17:40

    Contact your dealer and talk to them about this. Cat has had issues with the actuators and have had a handful of different part numbers on the. I think there is still an after failure warranty on these.