Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 287b high flow not working

ianjoub ยท 2018-07-01 09:12

Another problem for me, maybe you can help: I have a 2006 Cat 287B. I will add the rest of the serial number later today, I have this much: CAT0287BCZSA0XXXX . It is a high flow XPS machine. I purchased a forestry mulcher spec'd out for the high flow hydraulics. I am not getting high flow from the machine. I purchased the jumper for the electrics from CAT. I plugged that in, and push the high flow toggle in the cab, but just regular flow (through the separate high flow hydraulic couplers). The light on the high flow toggle does not illuminate. I can not activate rabbit mode of the 2 speed either, possibly related? I have not found the fuse box yet, so have done ZERO diag. Any ideas where I should start? It is obvious that there is no difference between normal operation and when I try to activate high flow. The mulcher doesn't perform as well as it should compared to all the youtube videos I have watched of forestry mulchers (many hours). I am certain I am not getting high flow. Thanks in advance, Ian

Replies21
  1. #1Nige2018-07-01 11:09

    Supply the last 5 digits of the S/N and an Electrical Schematic should be easy enough to get hold of. I know of a couple of breaks in the ZSA prefixes, so getting the correct Schematic for you machine depends on supplying the full S/N.

  2. #2ianjoub2018-07-01 20:43

    CAT0287BCZSA03116

  3. #3Mark2502018-07-02 04:52

    here is a schematic and abbreviated circuit

  4. #4Mark2502018-07-02 05:00
  5. #5ianjoub2018-09-28 14:18

    SOLUTION: Bad wiring. Found some broken wires and loose and corroded connectors.

  6. #6Nige2018-09-28 14:33

    Google "Senson Electroguard grease". In climates like yours (triple-digit temperatures and high humidity) it's a godsend for keeping humidity out of electrical connectors. Where I work right now is the same climate-wise and we swear by the stuff.

  7. #7ianjoub2018-09-28 14:35

    I use plain old dielectric grease. I will google Senson and see what's up though! Edit: Seems about the same

  8. #8Nige2018-09-28 15:46

    Apologies, I didn't realise you were already using something to keep moisture out. Senson also have a tape that is used to wrap the outside of the connectors to add an additional level of protection against moisture entry. Ignore the comment about it having plumbing uses, it works just fine on electrical connectors as well. http://sensontek.com.au/amalgamating-tape/sat-19-self-amalgamating-tape-9metre-roll/

  9. #9ianjoub2018-09-28 19:21

    As said before, I owned/operated an auto repair shop for years. I was a stickler on the simple things (Why they don't do this at the factory/assembly plant makes no sense to me): 1. All electrical connectors and bulbs, when unplugged, get dielectric grease before reinstall. 2. Everything you will need to take apart again gets anti seize. 3. Anything that may come loose when you least would like it to do so gets Loctite. 4. Clean things before AND after you work on them. You know, the simple things...

  10. #10heymccall2018-09-28 22:31

    Where'd you find the broken wires and plug corrosion? Inquiring minds want to know. Besides, it'll help one of us sooner or later.

  11. #11Mark2502018-09-28 22:51

    Cat doesn't recommend dielectric grease on all connectors

  12. #12Nige2018-09-29 04:26

    I was aware of that. We were using dielectric grease on electrical connecotrs in tropical climates back in the 90's and swore by it. When word got back to Cat what we were doing out came Service Mag SEPD0545, which we then proceeded to completely ignore ......... A few years ago the attached document was published as part of Cat's Best Practice Series. I'll let you make your own mind up.

  13. #13ianjoub2018-09-29 08:32

    We will have to agree to disagree. Unless they tell me the dielectric grease is going to break down the plastic and rubber of the connectors and wires, I will continue to use it.

  14. #14ianjoub2018-09-29 08:36

    There were crossed wires from improper repair in the boom going to work tool coupler. There were loose and corroded connections under the floor board of the cab. This is where the ECMs and PCMs reside and is apparently a problematic area as far as dirt and moisture accumulation. It is a PITA to access the area, thus it is rarely if ever cleaned. The wiring and computers reside in a dirt/mud bath.

  15. #15Nige2018-09-29 13:21

    You'll get no disagreement from me about the benefits of dielectric grease. I think you're confusing what I posted above and the extract from the Cat Service Magazine posted by Mark250. Me, I'm all for it ............

  16. #16ianjoub2018-09-29 15:38

    I apologize. I tried to multi quote you with Mark250 and only got yours. I understand that we agree on this point.

  17. #17Nige2018-09-29 16:42

    No problem. Like you it also amazes me that manufacturers don't pay more attention to simple things like keeping humidity & moisture out of sensitive electrical/electronic connectors.

  18. #18Mark2502018-09-29 18:36

    Yes I agree with Nige on the senson kit mentioned in the best practice articles. We also use it on equipment (when requested by customer) to stop corrosion on terminals and components. it is a multi pack kit with vapour packs and so on, but we DO NOT use cat branded dielectric grease in line with the service mag ,unless specifically directed by Cat in some sort of documentation. Some of our customers aren't prepared for the cost as it can take quite a few days of downtime to remove, clean, install the senson grease, tape the connectors, install vapour packs and refit. but the actual site conditions usually dictate this mark

  19. #19Nige2018-09-30 03:48

    Mark, Do you have any idea what the difference is between Senson Electroguard grease and Cat dielectric grease..? Senson list both separately on their web site but the description of the Cat grease (bushes, pins wear issues..?) makes no sense to me unless it's not a dielectric grease at all, despite the packaging being similar to all the other products on the page. http://sensontek.com.au/greases-tapes/

  20. #20nervoMatthias2021-10-14 15:05

    Did rabbit mode come back after repairing the wires? I have the same problem as you. No reaction to the boost button.

  21. #21Nige2021-10-14 15:35

    The ZSA-prefix machine that was the original subject of this thread was fixed after finding a wiring issue, or maybe more than one if I read it correctly. What machine Serial Number are you working on.? I can help you with an electrical schematic.